Talk

Advanced search

English Civil War and Oliver Cromwell

(7 Posts)
SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Wed 13-Sep-17 18:48:31

I loved the the Braddick book, but I'm a historian and this my field so I suppose I would say that smile

Slimthistime Wed 13-Sep-17 18:47:41

thanks for the speedy replies, I will look these all up.

the podcast site looks great too - I had no idea that was out there.

I have sooooo much history I want to learn, that podcast resource will be handy for lots of things - thanks all, much appreciated.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 13-Sep-17 18:45:08

I haven't read the Braddick one but Diane Purkiss is good.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Wed 13-Sep-17 18:43:43

Diane Purkiss and Michael Braddick have written some pretty good books, I think you'd get them on Amazon. Also, if you don't mind listening rather than reading there is a podcast that covers the build up to the war and the aftermath. There are about 12 episodes and it's quite detailed and entertaining. www.revolutionspodcast.com/2013/09/index.html

Modestine Wed 13-Sep-17 18:34:19

Link

Modestine Wed 13-Sep-17 18:33:44

I'm not sure if it qualifies as an "easy" read, but The World Turned Upside Down by Christopher Hill is short, and a cracking good read. There's a lot in it about different religious and political factions, which may or may not be to your taste. I loved it.

Slimthistime Wed 13-Sep-17 18:23:15

hi all
Does anyone have a sort of "easy read" recommendation for the above - and the lead up to it?

I looked in my library and they have some quite full on biographies of OC and big chunks of book on the war itself, but I really wanted something with more of an outline - and preferably not 800pp long. I really am starting from scratch on this topic - I know up to Elizabeth I but then there's a huge gap in my knowledge till Victoria.

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »