Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Lucy Worsley

(22 Posts)
lucydogz Thu 26-Jan-17 22:06:11

Anyone else bored with the latest series? I think the dressing up has almost become an end in itself and the presentation of history interpretations that have been discussed and accepted for ages, such as the evil representation of Richard III as being Tudor propaganda (yawn) is tedious.
What a wasted oppurtunity.

IrenetheQuaint Thu 26-Jan-17 22:19:00

I've gone off her since the Henry VIII series in which she was continually lurking behind curtains watching Henry VIII and his latest wife in bed. Though to be fair we should probably blame the production company, not her.

sotiredbutworthit Thu 26-Jan-17 22:20:10

I love Lucy so I am biased! I guess it's good as an intro to history, especially for younger people.

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Thu 26-Jan-17 22:32:39

I could have done with less dressing up and chewier history TBH. It's BBC4 Lucy, smart it up a bit!

GinIsIn Thu 26-Jan-17 22:36:51

I can't stand her - I find her so smug and obnoxious. I want to know about the history, not about you - stop simpering!

SophieLion Fri 27-Jan-17 17:29:48

I'm just watching it now. I am fascinated by the Wars of the Roses so quite happy to listen to the same info over and over again!

gringrinIrene at "continually lurking behind curtains watching Henry VIII and his latest wife in bed."

ProfYaffle Fri 27-Jan-17 17:33:45

Normally I love her but was a bit disappointed with it and, yy, fed up with the dressing up. Dd2 (9) enjoyed it though which is something.

BillSykesDog Sat 04-Feb-17 13:14:32

I hate her. I really want to like her but I can't. I can't bear the simpering. But I don't think she's aimed at me, I think she's history for people who aren't really interested in history. Which is a good thing for education I 'spose. But not for me.

I love a bit of Beard though.

OurBlanche Sat 04-Feb-17 13:18:14

She's great as she has so much more access to many of the royal spaces than anyone else would have.

That she gets to dress up and enjoy herself is her perk, I would have thought.

Anyone who makes history, fun, alive and accessible is fine by me!

You have to remember that whilst we have heard it all before, there is always the next generation for whom it is all new! If we stop celebrating our own history, and all of its propaganda, what do we become?

tribpot Sat 04-Feb-17 13:32:49

It's just the repetition of the same old topics that tires me out - Six Wives of Henry VII you say? God, yes, it's been ages since any high profile telly historians did a series on them. I suspect the problem is with the people who commission the work and what they think will have best resale value abroad. And yes there is way too much dressing up now.

jrhartleysfishingblog Sat 04-Feb-17 13:51:03

She seems to have the school 'mean girl' aura about her, by that I mean she comes across as judgemental and self-satisfied. She gives off Grayson Perry's fashion sense and Violet Elizabeth from the William stories' attitude. I think the TV producers like her because of that, not because she has any particular historical learning or insight to add. Popular culture is all we seem to get from our licence fee. confused

BillSykesDog Sat 04-Feb-17 13:58:55

Exactly hartley! I couldn't put my finger on it but you have it. Not exactly a mean girl though, the sort of girl who would grass you up for smoking in the woods and snogging the kitchen boy.

AGnu Sat 04-Feb-17 15:18:21

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like her. She seems to be everywhere recently & usually I give her programmes a go in the hope that the history will outweigh my irritation with her but I've not bothered with this latest series. She rarely says anything interesting enough to keep me watching. I much prefer terrible with names her with the super curly hair & nose ring or her with the super straight hair who looks like Victoria Coren-Mitchell, Alice something, maybe?!

I wasn't much in to history at school but I want to learn now. Give me something interesting with a decent presenter, please BBC!

FlaviaAlbia Sat 04-Feb-17 15:25:48

I really enjoy the programs she does. I'm not in England so my school history didn't really cover English history. I know patches from reading but there's always something new to learn and her programs are an entertaining way to do it...

sotiredbutworthit Sun 05-Feb-17 08:38:06

AGnu - Dan Jones. My God that man is gorgeous!! And he described Elizabeth Woodville as a Chav which made me laugh!!!

sotiredbutworthit Sun 05-Feb-17 08:38:56

AGnu - you are thinking of Suzannah Lipscombe.

LittleCandle Sun 05-Feb-17 08:44:37

Oh we love Lucy Worsley! I don't care if the dressing up is OTT - who doesn't like a bit of dressing up? I like that she makes history accessible, although I agree that the Tudors are done to death. I hate them with a passion!

I do like Dan Jones' books, but I sometimes find his shows are really dumbed down, obviously aimed for the American market. His recent series about the secrets of castles was great about some of them, but crap about others. The one that stuck out for us was Stirling. He neglected to mention a lot of relevant facts and there was far too much twaddle about the mangonels (which are interesting, but they weren't even at Stirling at that point!) and not enough about everything else going on.

ItsNiceItsDifferentItsUnusual Sun 05-Feb-17 08:44:45

I used to work with Lucy and she's honestly lovely and v good fun. I like her programmes, though I would agree they're history light. I could do without the dressing up, personally, though she does it well to be fair to her I think smile

scaryteacher Tue 07-Feb-17 11:54:03

She did a great programme on Dorothy Hartley in 2012. Anything that gets history out there and engages the public is worth it.

fleuricle Tue 07-Feb-17 12:02:33

Oh, yes, jrhartley

^ this, in spades...

I was trying not to be personal about her, thinking, maybe it's just me, but YES she is dumbing down history and doing it in a smug and childish fashion.

I cant watch her. It is SUCH a waste of my licence fee! [stamps foot and flounces, a la lovely Lucy)

derxa Tue 07-Feb-17 12:05:44

She is so annoying. DH watches her series so I can't escape.

fleuricle Tue 07-Feb-17 12:09:14

re 'getting history out there and engaging the public'

yes, I know what you mean.

my Dyslexic non reading for pleasure dd (9) has just 'discovered' the Horrible History books.

But, they are well written.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now