Advanced search

History of Holocaust

(8 Posts)
antimatter Wed 30-Nov-16 23:46:37

I am reading amazing book
East West Street by Philippe Sands

I picked it up because it got awarded this prize
thebailliegiffordprize.co.uk/books/east-west-street-by-philippe-sands
I visited Lwov and Stanislawow (Ivano-Frankivsk) many years ago and have read a lot about WW2. This book is explaining the backdrop of the Nuremberg trial. I watched Sands visiting places he writes about and can highly recommend this program as well:
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b075f0n4

I can also recommend another book to read if anyone is into this subject: The Hare With Amber Eyes: A Hidden Inheritance by Edmund de Waal
www.theguardian.com/books/2010/jun/06/book-review-de-waal-memoir-japanese-netsuke
After reading it I went to the British Museum because there are many netsuke to admire.
I have softback and unfortunately photos in it aren't that great but the story he writes about is amazing.

I am not sure if this is best place to ask for more recommendations of books which are factual stories, well researched and showing the human side of it's history.

MouseLove Thu 01-Dec-16 00:16:05

Oh thank you. DH is a history fan. These might be good for Christmas.

antimatter Thu 01-Dec-16 13:17:38

I would say they are going to make great Ch presents.
I am stopping at reading every few pages looking up manes and looking into details of historical events mentioned in them.

If he is history fan I would also recommend recordings (or I guess you could download for him from the R4 BBC site) History of the world in 100 objects. I have book as well but haven't read it yet. I listened to CD's more than once and love the focus on the social history they highlight in their recordings.
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00nrtd2/episodes/downloads

SurelyYoureJokingMrFeynman Thu 01-Dec-16 13:56:29

IBM and the Holocaust (2001) by Edwin Black is meticulously researched and highly informative.

It explains in detail how the Nazis used existing census information and instruments (Hollerith/IBM punched card machines) to identify Jewish people in the different occupied countries.

And how they they continued to use Hollerith/IBM machines to manage the sheer logistics of mass transportation to labour and extermination camps (of Jewish people, POWs, "subversives", etc)

And once in the camps... The infamous tattooed numbers on prisoners' wrists are actually their "Hollerith number", to match their punched card. To work them to death more effectively, you see, according to where each person's specific skills were most use.

Black holds IBM culpable for the assistance they rendered the Third Reich. I broadly agree with this view, but even if one doesn't, the book is still well worth reading as a very well-referenced factual account of how punched-card databases were used in the Holocaust.

Eg, the actions of René Carmille of the French statistics office and demographic service, who stymied various attempts at mass deportation from France by the simple measure of not having punched the column for "Jewish" on population registration cards.

SurelyYoureJokingMrFeynman Thu 01-Dec-16 14:03:08

Sorry, should have said it contains many stories at the individual human level, such as that eg.

antimatter Sun 11-Dec-16 09:54:54

I found interesting artickes about this topic Surely. I often wondered how it was all managed and will get that book at some point.

SurelyYoureJokingMrFeynman Sun 11-Dec-16 10:56:23

Yes, I'd always wondered too. I'd assumed neighbours had dobbed people in - but who'd do that for an invading army?

Turns out a lot of it was data previously collected for positive or at least neutral reasons. Or when there was a suspicion it was being collected for bad reasons, people just diligently "got on with their job"... because it was their job.

SurelyYoureJokingMrFeynman Sun 11-Dec-16 15:22:31

Film which overlaps with the story of data collection: A Woman at War

It's a good watch in itself: fictional story of a Jewish woman who works in a Nazi record office while undercover for the French Resistance.

There's a scene at the end when the liberated are burning the records that for them are a symbol of oppression and deportation, but for her are the memorials of the people deported and proof of the Nazis' crimes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »