Talk

Advanced search

The Siege of Leningrad

(8 Posts)
Taytocrisps Tue 29-Sep-15 20:14:42

A friend recommended a book called 'The Madonnas of Leningrad' by Debra Dean. I've also read 'The Siege' by Helen Dunmore. They were both very good reads. Has anyone else read anything about this period? I like both fiction and non-fiction books.

poocatcherchampion Tue 29-Sep-15 20:15:54

Yes me! The Tatiana and Alexander trilogy by Paulina Simon (or similar). Very absorbing - I loved it.

Taytocrisps Tue 29-Sep-15 20:18:55

poocatcher I've read some of those books but I've never read the one that was set in Leningrad. I think I've read the book before and after. Thanks for the reminder!

AgentProvocateur Tue 29-Sep-15 20:21:23

I loved The Siege. I'd be interested in reading more about it too.

JawannaDrink Tue 29-Sep-15 20:22:22

I've read the first one, the something horseman? I didn't know there were more though....

JawannaDrink Tue 29-Sep-15 20:23:46

Oh, and there is a follow up to The Siege, I don't know the name but its set several years later during the stalinist purges.

AgentProvocateur Tue 29-Sep-15 20:29:02

Yes, was it The Betrayal? It was good, but not as good as The Siege.

morningtoncrescent62 Thu 22-Dec-16 11:54:09

I loved The Betrayal - I thought it really captured the fear and the paranoia of the times. I liked The Siege as well, but it was more straightforwardly about survival, whereas The Betrayal shows the complexities of the late Stalinist era so well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now