Talk

Advanced search

I would like to learn about the history of native Americans.

(13 Posts)
SurlyCue Tue 09-Jun-15 18:05:30

Apologies if i have used an incorrect phrase to refer to them, i know there has been changes to what is preferred but not sure what is right.

Could anyone direct me to some good sources of information?

LineRunner Tue 09-Jun-15 18:06:36

First Nations - have you tried a good old Google?

LineRunner Tue 09-Jun-15 18:08:26

My dad has an amazing book called Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee. It used to be regarded as a something of a (heartbreaking) classic.

SurlyCue Tue 09-Jun-15 18:09:34

First nations! Thank you. I specifically didnt google as i am not sure of what are biased sources and what are more accurate.

WoweeZowee Tue 09-Jun-15 18:15:34

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown is a must-read!

SurlyCue Tue 09-Jun-15 18:47:49

Thanks i have just ordered it on amazon. and struggled not to order a whole lot more

chibi Tue 09-Jun-15 18:53:45

There are many modern authors writing about First Nations, Metis and Inuit people

Canada's Trutha no Reconciliation Comission on Residential Schools has just issued their final report on I think 6 years of witness testimony

It is extremely well written, accessible and an excellent overview of how colonialism was enacted through both church and state involvement in 'education' that was nothing short of an attempt at genocide

It is probably one of the best places to start with to find out more about FN history in Canada, the U.S. will have similar stories

I will find you the link and post shortly

LineRunner Tue 09-Jun-15 18:55:44

Also there are current archaeological debates about when the First Nations arrived on the continent. Fascinating stuff.

chibi Tue 09-Jun-15 18:56:33

www.trc.ca/websites/trcinstitution/index.php?p=890

I should also mention that the attempt at genocide failed - many Indigenous people speak their language, and more are learning. There is cultural resurgence. They are still there!

SurlyCue Tue 09-Jun-15 19:07:04

Thank you chilbi, thats is great.

Pepperpot99 Tue 09-Jun-15 19:08:19

Damn! was just about the recommend the Dee Wallace Wounded Knee book. One of my dear dad's favourite reads.

Pepperpot99 Tue 09-Jun-15 19:08:56

sorry dee brown

BabCNesbitt Tue 16-Jun-15 21:18:25

About a month ago I read 'Lakota Woman' by Mary Crow Dog. It's really interesting on the history of the American Indian Movement, which I knew nothing about before reading it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now