How to find non-GB history info?

(4 Posts)
1Child1PetNoClue Mon 18-May-15 14:51:18

Am quite a newbie to researching different bits of history but getting very interested as a hobby/pastime type thing. Obviously there`s a fair amount out there about British & Irish history, and what it would have been like for individual people, eg Dickens, Philippa Gregory etc but where do you start if you want the same from other European countries?

I`m specifically interested in anything about Germany & Russia/Poland/Ukraine around 1880 - 1950 because of personal ancestor-y connections and written/translated into English, and especially social history about what day to day life would have been like for different people/classes, but general `dates and times` stuff would be great too. Is this likely to be out there and how do I find it? Had a google and a look on Amazon but don`t seem to be getting very far.

YonicScrewdriver Fri 22-May-15 13:05:38

hmmm not my field but bumping!

1Child1PetNoClue Wed 27-May-15 06:36:37

Thank you!

knittingdad Tue 09-Jun-15 15:31:56

The only way I can think of to do this, is to find a decent overview history book and then start hunting around in the references for other books/journal articles to read.

The obvious book that comes to mind is Europe: A History but it's quite old now, and there will doubtless have been much recent work from the Soviet archives that will have been done after it was published.

Essentially the period and geography you are interested in is a history of Prussia, and so this book looks like a possible place to start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now