Talk

Advanced search

Favorite Queens of England/Britain

(51 Posts)
Wannabestepfordwife Sun 18-Jan-15 20:09:33

I'm really interested in Queens of Britain and was wondering who is other peoples favorites

I personally love
The Empress Matilda- For her strength in fighting a civil war and securing her sons inheritance
Isabella of France- for the same reasons as above I just wish she hadn't let the power go to her head
Katherine of Valois- For marrying the man she loved and damn the consequences
Anne Boleyn- For the way she did things on her terms (I think of her as an original feminist)
Elizabeth I- For proving a woman can lead a country as strong as a man
Catherine of Braganza- for bringing the custom of drinking tea to England

YonicSleighdriver Sun 18-Jan-15 20:14:41

Queen Elizabeth II. I think the monarchy would've gone down the toilet several times without her.

SconeRhymesWithGone Sun 18-Jan-15 20:20:12

Katherine of Aragon, for many obvious reasons, but most of all for believing that her daughter could rule England.

EdithWeston Sun 18-Jan-15 20:21:33

Elfrida

Wannabestepfordwife Sun 18-Jan-15 20:36:14

Elfrida I'd never heard of before but she does sound amazing

yonic I do have a massive soft spot for Elizabeth II but there are times (like the Iraq war) she hadn't stayed so politically neutral

Katherine of Aragon- had an amazing amount of class and dignity I just wonder how much her feverent catholism impacted her daughter

Wannabestepfordwife Sun 18-Jan-15 20:37:26

I wish she hadn't stayed so neutral even

balia Sun 18-Jan-15 20:39:17

Elizabeth Woodville. I think she must have had an amazing life.

JoanHickson Sun 18-Jan-15 20:44:49

I liked Elizabeth Woodville, Katherine of Aragon, Elizabeth 1 and Victoria.

Anne Bolyn got the idea from Henry VIII sister in trying for a divorce and was a bitch to Mary.

YonicSleighdriver Sun 18-Jan-15 21:07:13

Yy to Katharine of Aragon. She and Henry were married for about 20 years and had about 7 children, IIRC. Then BAM! She's out the door owing to a law that's completely outwith her own code, morals and understanding.

It's shite.

Wannabestepfordwife Sun 18-Jan-15 21:33:01

I do like Elizabeth Woodville but in the words of MN I just find her a bit entitled and grabby.

Anne Boleyn may have been a bitch but I have a great deal of respect for her in the way she behaved in her trial and execution with great dignity. As a hyperthyrodism sufferer if she did suffer from hyperthyrodism as has been inferred I have a great deal of sympathy for the mental strain it would have put her under

carlajean Wed 21-Jan-15 22:24:30

My God, this is like English history channeled through Grazia magazine! Don't you think it was all rather more complex than this?

YonicScrewdriver Wed 21-Jan-15 22:27:57

Of course, Carla - it's a light hearted thread.

Any views on queens?

JoanHickson Wed 21-Jan-15 22:37:12

Oh do tell more about AB and her thyroid please.

carlajean Wed 21-Jan-15 22:38:59

Thank goodness for that, I was thinking people really believed what they posted. Personally I think the memorable ones were probably frightful, particularly Matilda - I don't think civil war is that great, for whatever reason. Ditto Eleanor of Aquitaine. Katherine Parr was 'good'(whatever that means) I think

SconeRhymesWithGone Wed 21-Jan-15 22:40:58

I believe what I posted about Katherine of Aragon. confused

AnneofCheese Wed 21-Jan-15 22:41:28

Most of these aren't Queens of Britain. England, not Britain!

carlajean Wed 21-Jan-15 22:46:42

How do you know that scones

JoanHickson Wed 21-Jan-15 23:15:52

Yes you are correct some listed here are pre James 1.

YonicScrewdriver Wed 21-Jan-15 23:18:20

Op put England/Britain in the thread title.

YonicScrewdriver Wed 21-Jan-15 23:34:25

K of A and Henry were married 24 years and she had six pregnancies. So I wasn't too far off. And it was definitely shite to be treated like she was (ironic that she died 3 years later so if Henry had waited...)

carlajean Wed 21-Jan-15 23:44:42

But history IS shite, most of the time and for most of the people. K of A's mother initiated the Spanish Inquisition and expelled the Jews from Spain. Her daughter had an equally strong faith (one of the reasons she wouldn't agree to an annulment). If Anne B hadn't come forward, we could have seen an inquisition here, so I'm quite happy with the way things turned out.

SconeRhymesWithGone Wed 21-Jan-15 23:45:39

Well, I understood the OP to just be using a bit of shorthand to cover a wide time frame (and she was more specific in the thread title), but if you want to speak of queens of Britain (or more properly Great Britain), the applicable event is the Act of Union, not the ascension of James I and VI.

YonicScrewdriver Wed 21-Jan-15 23:46:40

I bet Anne Boleyn wasn't so happy, being dead.

Pensionerpeep Wed 21-Jan-15 23:47:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SconeRhymesWithGone Wed 21-Jan-15 23:49:33

grin at Yonic.

The state of Maryland is named for Henrietta Maria.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »