Talk

Advanced search

Mary Beard is coming for a webchat!

(22 Posts)
TunipTheVegemal Fri 05-Oct-12 10:00:14

Mary Beard webchat thread

Don't know why they're not advertising it more!

LineRunner Fri 05-Oct-12 21:53:45

That's brilliant.

It's in my diary and I will be there!

LRDtheFeministDragon Mon 08-Oct-12 10:24:52

Ooh.

I will read and enjoy, but I think I am a bit intimidated about posting. Awesome, though!

LineRunner Tue 09-Oct-12 11:53:50

Go on LRD get over there and post a question.

TunipTheVegemal Tue 09-Oct-12 12:12:45

Aww go on LRD, if you're scared you could always namechange.
Go and ask her about sexism in academia or top tips for getting a postdoc or something.

LRDtheFeministDragon Tue 09-Oct-12 12:16:07

Well, yes, I could name change but I would know! grin I don't think anonymity makes a difference (or, well, deeper anonymity, I suppose).

I could ask her how many tenner I need to pin to my Newnham JRF application to get a 'favourable hearing', but I feel that might not get quite the ideal response ... wink

LineRunner Tue 09-Oct-12 12:24:20

LRD's on! Excellent question about transmission of literacy to girls.

TunipTheVegemal Tue 09-Oct-12 12:25:06

ah, Newnham <sighs with longing>

I'm sure they're far too correct there, Pembroke used to be bribable though, IIRC (admissions scandal in early 90s).

LRDtheFeministDragon Tue 09-Oct-12 12:27:00

Erm. Commenting on corruption at Pembroke might be a little close to home for me!

I liked your biscuit question tunip.

LineRunner Tue 09-Oct-12 12:36:26

Mary Beard answered LRD's question second, out of all of them.

Clear corruption in the ranks. grin

LRDtheFeministDragon Tue 09-Oct-12 12:36:51

blush

LineRunner Tue 09-Oct-12 18:42:07

LRD you are an academic! grin

LRDtheFeministDragon Tue 09-Oct-12 18:43:56

grin

<ponces around envisioning self in academic gown> smile

<contemplates JRF applications> sad

Not too long to go, though. How did your grant application go, btw?

LineRunner Tue 09-Oct-12 18:46:54

I've started it, but it ground to a halt. I just don't seem to have the time, what with poncing about on MN.

Tommorow. I will -see you on here-- do it tomorrow.

LineRunner Tue 09-Oct-12 18:47:37

You see, I can't spell and I can't double strike through any more, since you mentioned that bloody grant application.

LRDtheFeministDragon Tue 09-Oct-12 18:53:06

Yes: do it tomorrow and we will all poke you to get back to it.

Sorry I mentioned it, though! wink

LineRunner Tue 09-Oct-12 18:57:56

Don't worry, it was on my mind... grin

Anyway, I thought some of Mary Beard's answers were a bit rushed, poor woman. Next time we need to be strapped into the hot seat for a couple of days. They'd give her gin, I'm sure.

LRDtheFeministDragon Tue 09-Oct-12 18:59:33

She had a lot of questions to get through.

It was nice to see her saying those things about academia and being a woman in academia.

I think a webchat around 9pm might go very differently ... wonder if MNHQ ever schedule them then?

LineRunner Tue 09-Oct-12 19:05:28

My time in academia in the 1980s and 1990s was definitely affected by some vile sexist men. Awful groping, lack of patronage, nasty comments, exclusion. A bit like the BBC by the sound of it.

LRDtheFeministDragon Tue 09-Oct-12 19:13:17

Yuck. sad

That is awful.

I think/hope times are changing (not in the annoying 'times was different back in the 70s, so Jimmy Saville is still a decent bloke if he did it' way). I don't think I know anyone who got groped. The worst we got was a rather letchy elderly Latin (!) tutor who insisted on taking tutorials in our bedrooms and making suggestive remarks.

I can't get my mind round how you'd cope if you were busy trying to make a career and being groped by people who were meant to be your colleagues. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

LineRunner Tue 09-Oct-12 19:15:21

It is very different now. smile

LRDtheFeministDragon Tue 09-Oct-12 19:23:13

Good! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now