Talk

Advanced search

Henry VIII, eh? What a bastard.

(366 Posts)
TunipTheVegemal Mon 24-Sep-12 20:52:53

I just feel there should be an ongoing thread on what a vile piece of work Henry VIII was where people can leave their opinions on the complete and utter appallingness of Henry VIII.

Of course, this being Mumsnet someone will probably come along and say IABVU and he was actually very nice.

(What sparked this off, btw, was me discovering that the Pilgrimage of Grace marched past where my house is, having mustered troops a mile away. Now every time I have to go into the garden at night I will imagine rotting corpses swinging from the trees - he had some of the rebels hanged in their own back gardens and some women got into trouble for cutting down their husband's bodies when they were supposed to leave them there to rot as a warning. What a bastard.)

HelenDenver Sun 15-Jan-17 20:01:10

Cool

He came to the throne at 17 or so, didn't he? 20-odd years of tall, sporty, powerfulness. Seems reasonable as a base for attractiveness.

Lucy W has a new series in a couple of weeks

MummyH1206 Tue 10-Jan-17 21:42:46

He was what was attractive at the time especially the calves.
I think some were made of strong stuff and chose to be with him to get some power etc Katherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn. Others had no choice and were unfortunate and had to try and make most of it which didn't end well for most.

cooltalkineverlivin Tue 10-Jan-17 18:25:37

Why was Henry Vlll thought handsome in his time? Piggy little eyes, moon face, little itsy mouth, and fine calves are for the farmyard.

I also think he was a Grade A shit for all the reason pp have said above. The women who went to bed with him must have been made of very strong stuff indeed.

MummyH1206 Tue 10-Jan-17 18:13:34

Henry was a fine king until he didn't get the son he needed. Anne was a clever women to draw his eye and keep him without sleeping with him for so long. This did darken everyone's view of him who loved Katherine she really was the people's queen.
I think if Anne had given him a son the world would see him in a very different light. But she didn't and I think he would have divorced her too if those that weren't against her (there were lots) hadn't given him the grounds for trumped up charges of adultery as it's easier to kill her off. You then have to factor in jousting injury which resulted in ulcer which never healed, very painful leading to agitation, but also he was unconscious for hours which could have resulted in brain damaged which forever changed his temprement.
I think this led to him getting easily bored and agitated with wives and advisors making him into the bastard we remember not the most handsome young prince of Christendom that he was. He was also very unfortunate with next few wives Jane died (although pretty sure he would have divorced her too if she didn't give him son). Ann of cleves not to his taste (however by now 50 odd and very likely impotent) and Catherine Howard young and abuse by men throughout her life didn't stand a chance. Katherine parr almost lost her head too.
Unfortunately at that time a long needed a son and that was that and Henry went about getting it only way he could not defending him but I think jousting injury contributed a lot to his decision making and impotent for a lot of his life made him into the monster we remember when it could have been so different.

KatieScarlett Sat 17-Dec-16 10:06:24

It was fun re-reading this. Can't believe we are still waiting on the sequel to Bring up the Bodies. Hope Hillary is ok.

FrancesNiadova Sat 17-Dec-16 09:43:37

Henry viii; syphillitic wife-murderer.
I do wonder about some sort of mental health problem, we know that physically, he wasn't a well man. It's interesting that Bloody Mary showed similar traits...the Apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Trills Thu 08-Dec-16 22:13:37

Oh yes Lucy herself is clearly having a fucking fantastic time, and good on her!

EvenTheWind Thu 08-Dec-16 22:02:34

She's having a ball though, which is lovely to watch!

I didn't think That Bastard Henry had split up Anne Boleyn and Percy though, that was surely a lot earlier.

Trills Thu 08-Dec-16 21:52:03

She is indeed

Bit more unnecessary reenactment than I need, but seems good so far.

EvenTheWind Thu 08-Dec-16 18:39:11

Lucy Worsley is currently presenting a programme on the six wives on BBC one, available on iplayer

EvenTheWind Fri 02-Dec-16 00:00:04

fgrin

Trills Thu 01-Dec-16 22:24:46

I thank you for reviving this thread if only for reminding me of

"X, for example, is a twat"

EvenTheWind Thu 01-Dec-16 07:49:59

Have now re read from the beginning

The early post about Anne Boleyn being a whore, a schemer etc - interesting how Jane Seymour never got this reputation, though she employed the same "my virtue!" Tactics and the wife she displaced was judicially murdered rather than moved to a series of decreasingly grand houses...

BoopTheSnoot Wed 30-Nov-16 23:19:14

Just read through this whole thread. Loved it.

HillaryFTW Wed 30-Nov-16 21:44:57

Nearly finished the book;

HillaryFTW Sun 06-Nov-16 00:01:16

The six wives of henry viii by Alison weir is in November's kindle sale

HillaryFTW Fri 21-Oct-16 21:01:50

That's so sweet lauren! (Been so long that I've name changed!)

laurenandsophie Mon 19-Sep-16 21:16:49

You've all probably long gone, but having just read through this entire thread I want it on record that I think I'm in love with you all!!!

AHellOfABird Sun 05-Jun-16 20:53:05

tracy borman's Cromwell bio is good, touches on Henry of course

YonicTrowel Sun 01-May-16 22:25:01

Heather, if you are still about: I'm not sure anything about the miscarried child came up at the trial - there was no right of reply to a treason charge IIRC and many of the dates were simply impossible ( Anne and the man were in different to locations, one was when she was still confined after Elizabey's birth etc).

Heatherjayne1972 Sun 13-Mar-16 22:07:39

Oo I've just discovered this thread
Didn't Henry have diabetes and or cushings disease - would explain the ulcer that didn't heal A head injury while jousting could have resulted in some type of mental illness
I read somewhere that Anne Boleyn had rhesus negative blood. She gave birth to ( miscarried) a deformed male child which in the medieval mind 'proved' that she'd been up to no good with other men / involved in witchcraft - this was used against her in her trial.
Was Henry a B ? He was a spoiled good looking rich entitled bloke surrounded by yes men who usually got his own way by some means or other. Ended up with a brain injury and lots of pain/disease that couldn't be treated/controlled
He probably was quite unpleasant

LRDtheFeministDragon Sat 19-Jul-14 23:50:25

Ooh, I'd like to see that!

QueenofallIsee Wed 16-Jul-14 19:20:43

Lottie I also saw an interesting documentary, hypothesizing that Henry had some sort of mental illness or brain damage from his fall during the joust. Nothwithstanding his ruthlessness and determination to get his way which was always the case, he did progress to tyranny, mercilessness and this was put forward using peer accounts from the time as out of character when compared with the younger man. I will try to remember the name of it - they presented an interesting timeline showing the progression and the 'peaks' of his more extreme acts. T'was a good watch..mind you, the expression 'absolute power corrupts absolutely' could also be argued. Once he broke with Rome, he was pretty much free to become a total megalomaniac without consequence

TunipTheUnconquerable Tue 10-Jun-14 10:31:16

Yes, that's right, her mum was Frances Brandon, his daughter with Henry VIII's little sister Mary.

curiousgeorgie Tue 10-Jun-14 10:26:48

This thread is fantastic... I've just read every post and am now googling all about Lady Jane Greys marriage... (Charles Brandon was her grandfather, yes?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now