What is a good second class honours degree?

(14 Posts)
MilaMae Thu 13-May-10 20:22:42

I'm guessing a 2:1 and not a 2:2 which is what I have.

I've seen a Masters course I'd be ideal for,would it not be worth me even applying?

OP’s posts: |
RatherBeOnThePiste Thu 13-May-10 20:23:45

Why not call them and ask?

jkklpu Thu 13-May-10 20:24:51

Yes, it does mean 2:1 but that might not be the overriding requirement, especially if you have obvious motivation and relevant professional experience. You've nothing to lose by contacting them, as RBotP suggests.

Jazzicatz Thu 13-May-10 20:26:41

It will mean a 2:1. But it is always worth speaking to the University

LostArtOfKeepingASecret Thu 13-May-10 20:28:14

Agree - call them and ask. A 2:2 in a relevant degree might be preferable to a 2:1 in another, less relevant one.

Also, if you may have other skills and experience that will also count. Good luck!

Reallytired Thu 13-May-10 20:31:00

What is the subject and what is the masters course you want to do? Contact the uni and see what they say.

I have found that my 2.2 in physics commands more respect than some 2.1s. I did a masters and I even got funding for it.

MilaMae Fri 14-May-10 11:46:53

Thanks,that's helpful,will contact them!

I have a BEd Honours in English/children's literature (from a poly),15 years teaching experience and a spell as literacy co-ordinator.

Dp has engineering degrees from redbrick universities and is a bit sniffy re my degree so won't expect too much. Can other qualifications in a related field help?

The course I'm interested in is one in children's literature at Roehampton.

I'm presuming they might be a bit sniffy about it being from a poly too.

Starting to wish I'd spent fewer nights in the union bar now grin

OP’s posts: |


notcitrus Fri 14-May-10 11:58:12

Experience in relevant fields is often accepted as a 'boost' to a degree. And in future a 2:2 plus Masters is usually deemed to be a substitute for a 2:1.

(has 2:2)

ts23 Sat 11-Nov-17 06:38:52

What did you do your masters in and where please?

ts23 Sat 11-Nov-17 06:40:04

Oops that question was for really tired...

scaryteacher Sat 11-Nov-17 09:43:52

My db did a Masters without having done an initial degree, but with years of professional experience in his field.

Summerswallow Sat 11-Nov-17 13:51:22

This might be fine- they are looking for academic ability to complete the course (which an old value 2:2 might be ok) and for enthusiasm and interest in the subject (which you have in spades). I would definitely email the course co-ordinator/contact person briefly outlining your experience and qualifications and ask them if you should make an official application. My feeling is they will (I would take you on a Masters).

Bekabeech Sun 12-Nov-17 08:28:15

I have a 2:2 and ended up doing a Doctorate at Oxbridge, via a funded Masters. I was the right person at the right time and had good referees.
One of my colleagues at Oxbridge had a degree from a Poly (and she was much more academic than me).
I think your DH is a problem, and may have his own chips on his shoulder.
I would talk to Roehampton they have always been lovely when I’ve talked to them. And you should have a lot to bring to such a Masters.

fartyghost Sun 12-Nov-17 10:30:50

Generally speaking they mean a 2:1 but I'd put money on a 2:2 in chemistry (or similar) having more value than a 2:1 in some other subjects.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in