Advanced search

DH and his family are such snobs about universities

(61 Posts)
sarah293 Wed 14-Oct-09 09:02:25

Message withdrawn

southeastastra Wed 14-Oct-09 09:04:21

they'd fit in on here wink

Tortington Wed 14-Oct-09 09:04:46

but there is a snobbery about these things in life, even though it may be unjust. If DD got the chance to go to a russel group - i would be chuffed.

starwhoreswonaprize Wed 14-Oct-09 09:05:11

Where did your DH go and what good did it do?

IE Did he go to Oxford and end up with a 2:2 working in Pizza Hut? or did he go to Oxford get a first and discovered a new fuel? Or did he not go to any Uni and set up his own company?

sarah293 Wed 14-Oct-09 09:08:49

Message withdrawn

GooseyLoosey Wed 14-Oct-09 09:09:23

I think I probably am too.

I have lectured at UWE and know that it does do a good job. However, given the choice between it and Oxford... well, there is no choice.

I went to Oxford and it has certainly opened doors for me and helped me. I also know that recruiters do not rank all universities equally so there is some rationale behind university snobbery (depending on what you want to do).

brimfull Wed 14-Oct-09 09:13:13

dd has been discounting the new universities
will wait and see what her predicted grades are though-she may be changing her mindgrin

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 14-Oct-09 09:13:22

Message withdrawn

Artichokes Wed 14-Oct-09 09:17:26

Oxford, Bristol and Imperial are undoubtably better when looking at objective measures like calabre of lecturers and career path of graduates. That doesn't necessarily mean they are the best for each of your children, everyone has different needs. However. Your PiLs are therefore only partly right.

MrsBadger Wed 14-Oct-09 09:20:20

very discipline / course dependent IMO

I applied mostly to redbricks as the courses at some more allegedly prestigious places weren't sufficiently 'applied' to interest me - all too pure and theoretical - and I wanted to do an industrial placement which many places (eg Ox, Cambs) didn't offer.

sarah293 Wed 14-Oct-09 09:23:05

Message withdrawn

Artichokes Wed 14-Oct-09 09:23:50

What always strikes me is the amount of one-on-one tutoring that you get at Oxbridge compared to other unix. IMO you can't overestimate the value of individual attention.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 14-Oct-09 09:27:03

Message withdrawn

MrsBadger Wed 14-Oct-09 09:28:04

ah but Riven does he interview well? grin

am not hot on where is good for math eng atm but someone should know - is his school careers advisor any good?

Does it have to be local?

sarah293 Wed 14-Oct-09 09:29:18

Message withdrawn

FakePlasticTrees Wed 14-Oct-09 09:34:58

Tricky one - thing is, most employers are snobby about this too - and yes, at some newer unis the courses are better, but unless your DC's are going for vocational courses, employers won't know 10+ years later which unis where offering the best course that year.

Even if they do get a very good first job from a newer unis, sadly lots of HR departments have 'approved lists' of unis for top level roles and will only interview off that list, or if the candidate has a 1st or gone back for higher qualification such as MBA.

ABetaDad Wed 14-Oct-09 09:35:44

It is not snobbery. It is reality.

The Russel Group unversities are where the top employers recruit. INDEED, some employers refuse to recruit anyone other than from Oxford, Cambridge and London. Also if your DCs want to go into a higher degree programme and then on into academic life an undergraduate degree from a Russell Group university will get them a place on a PhD programme.

The former poly universites do a decent job but they are not Russel Group. Put crudely, it costs the same to go to a former poly as a Russell Group university so why choose a former poly when you can go to a Russell Group university for the same price? Your initial career earning power and job prospects will be higher coming from a Rusell Group university all other factors equal.

starwhoreswonaprize Wed 14-Oct-09 09:37:36

How many can they apply for?

[old emoticon]

MrsBadger Wed 14-Oct-09 09:37:44

Bath? - Times rates it 8th for maths and 4th for mech eng - above Bristol in both cases and def worth a bash.

but if it's got to be local obv your options are limited

waitingforbedtime Wed 14-Oct-09 09:46:27

I went to a Russell Gp Uni and got a 2.1 and am still just a SAHM and worse I got married and pregnant straight after graduation so have never even had a career!! shock

scrappydappydoo Wed 14-Oct-09 09:57:44

Oh I had this argument with my parents when I was applying for uni. They pushed and pushed for me to go to a 'proper' uni I went to an ex-poly and it suited me far better. It never seemed to do me any harm job wise but then again I'm a sahm now so maybe ;)
My only advice would be:
Don't just think about the course - uni is more than just the course its the experience - what kind of uni would suit your ds - campus or city based(even if he isn't going away)? big or small? what about outside interests?
Also what about work-experience? sandwich courses tend to be offered more by ex-polys so you get the academic qualification but you also get some valuable work experience as well...

Ponders Wed 14-Oct-09 09:57:49

They can apply for 5, star

MrsBadger Wed 14-Oct-09 10:00:41

starwhores it's 5
but there are limitations ie either Ox or Cambs, not both; and if you want to do medicine, dentistry or vetmed you can only fill up four choices with those, your fifth has to be something else (that's easier to get on to)

I just checked - I went to a Russel Group Uni and didn't know it. Never heard of it till just now.

thedollshouse Wed 14-Oct-09 10:08:56

I can understand your dh having an opinion on it but it shouldn't be a concern of the rest of the family as it is none of their business.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now