Talk

Advanced search

Nursery Problems

(5 Posts)
mamagaga Tue 15-Sep-09 16:22:17

Hiim abou to start uni and need childcare but can anyone tell me how they managed to get their kids into a nursery when you cant book sessions until your timetable is released. All the nurserys I had my daughters name down for are now full and I dont get my timetable until freshers week next week. Really worried that Im going to be left wiothout childcare and unable to go to uni. Im going to sunderland uni, if anyone has had the same problem let me know because neither the uni or the nurseries seem to know what I can do!

Bessie123 Tue 15-Sep-09 16:25:16

Hi. I appreciate it's probably too late for this but I think you book the nursery place and sort out the details later. Are the waiting lists long?

mamagaga Tue 15-Sep-09 16:33:50

Yea they told me there were 30 kids going for 8 places at one. All of them said they would not book a place until I knew the exact sessions I needed as it wasted places that other people would be able to book before me. There was a deposit scheme at one nusery but i would have had to book every session and it was just too expensive at the time. Its annoying when people go on about single mothers not working or doing anything but when you try its really hard to get sorted!

HelenHighwater Tue 15-Sep-09 19:22:23

Is there any way you could contact the uni to give you a provisional timetable?

What age is your lo? Would you consider sending them to the uni creche if the provisions are there? (although spaces are v limited if they have one)

The only other idea I would say that if all the nurseries are full you may have to start thinking of poss going down the childminder route.

It's a total nightmare trying to sort out childcare before returning to study.

I've had to rely on my parents for the mean time. Thanks goodness because my timetable's been changed slightly in the first week and if I had ds at nursery don't know what I would have done.

mamagaga Mon 21-Sep-09 12:28:10

They are releasing the timetable in freshers week now and have been told I will get it 2moro. The uni creche gives its places away to non uni applicants aswell so clearly they will get the places first before the students! I suppose the less students with kids they have at the uni the less money they have to pay for grants etc works in their favour keeping us hanging on till the last minute. Glad to know that other people have had the same trouble. Just got to keep my fingers crossed now that I'll get something sorted, got this far and Im not giving up now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now