Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

So confused...Doctor or Midwife? Please help!

(8 Posts)
PrincessII Fri 04-Sep-09 09:13:29

I'm 29 with a 2 and 1 year old. Am applying for univrsity this year to start 2010. Originally I was going to study midwifery, at which point I will be 33 when I qualify. But then a colleague is starting med school and mentioned a local uni near me where I could apply to start next year, I will be 36 on qualification.

I am so confused about which profession to go into. My DH is backing me whtever I choose which is great, but having spoken with others they have said that I wouldn't be their for my children etc. My children are currently in f/t care at a childminders so I am able to work within the health profession and study.

I do not want my children to hate me for doing medicine, but I have heard that midwifery is strenuous on your family life anyway....please help me make a decision, as I am so confused about what route to take. I was planning to apply for both degrees and see what comes of it and I have eard to study medicine you don't have to be a genius, just a lot of study, but surely midwifery is on the same par?

Milliways Fri 04-Sep-09 20:13:26

I think a lot of the decision must depend on what you want out of your career.

However, not knowing what the NHS will be like when you qualify, if you were a qualified GP now you would probably be in demand if you did locum cover (where you can specify your availability) or working as a paid associate - rather than a partner.

We have a number of associates in my GP practice, some only work 2 days a week, others mornings etc. Our current locum leaves to collect kids from school each day.

Working Out of Hours is a separate contract.

GP would seem to give you the least unsocial hours - BUT there is a mountain of red tape & paperwork to deal with to prove you are adhering to government guidelines and targets (mainly falling on shoulders of partners, not associates and locums).

WobblyPig Fri 04-Sep-09 20:25:58

Goodness they are very different you know. If you are interested in obstetrics only be aware that the vast majority of what you will study in med school will have nothing to do with this area. A maximum of 8-10 weeks will probably be spent with anytime in obs ang gynae in 5/6 years. You will study a wide range of subjects such as pharmacoloyg; pathology ; embrology; physiology; biochemistry .
Medicine requires a lot of you ; you don't have to be a genius but the way you think and organise your thoughts and work is very important but other skills are needed. I think you have to be quite a resilient person for medicine . Generally there is no spoon-feeding and you have to be pushy to get 'educated'as a doctor.
If the med school know you have applied for midwifery they will severly question why you have applied for medicine.
I don't consider a career in medicine very compatible with family life at all.

reikizen Fri 04-Sep-09 20:30:28

To be honest, it is not a decision you can make based on childcare or futer job prospects, it's a philosophy or way of thinking. I've just completed my midwifery training (dd1 was 18 months when I started, dd2 born after my first year) and although it is hard on your family they don't hate you for not being there. I actually found with shifts etc I could spend more time with them than a 9-5 mon to friday job.
However, medicine and midwifery are completely different careers. Midwifery is dealing with women who are for the most part well. You are not 'curing' them, you are working to support them and their families through a (for most people) wonderful, life changing event. You need to decide whether you want to 'save' people or step back and let them say 'I did it!' I'm not making a value judgement it's simply what would make you happier.
I believe that if you want to follow a path like medicine or midwifery no amount of head shaking and nay saying from 'old hands' will put you off, your heart rules your head in my experience! Good luck. It's the most exciting, terrifying thing I've ever done!

roomforthree Fri 04-Sep-09 20:50:22

Just a few thoughts:

Does the university you intend to apply to require an entrance exam e.g. UKCAT / BMAT?

Are you aware that the deadline for submission of the UCAS application for medicine is 15th October?

In your personal statement you have to talk about your reasons for applying for the course. Medicine and midwifery are 2 very different careers, and it will be obvious that you have applied for both courses. This may impact on your chance of being successful for both, as it can be perceived as a lack of commitment.

Lastly, this is a decision only you can make. I would suggest doing as much research as you can.

Good luck.

PrincessII Mon 07-Sep-09 16:08:12

Thanks for all the supportive messages, you all really make sense and it's great to get advice from people within the midwifery and medical profession on my dilemma.

I have decided to study midwifery, as I think thhis will hae less impact of family life and if I really want to become a doctor after qualifying as a Midwife, then I can always transfer to a post grad BM degree.

Many thanks for all your help.

Judy1234 Mon 21-Sep-09 20:18:11

I think it comes down to your IQ and exam results. If you're a brain box with AA and A* in just about everything you do medicine (if you want it). If you're a more average sort of person you're not likely to get in to do medicine.

Harebelle Tue 13-Oct-09 10:14:09

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now