Talk

Advanced search

Self Study - Human Biology??

(10 Posts)
nikki1978 Sat 29-Aug-09 23:00:19

Well after my last post it turns out the college where I am going to do my maths alevel is dropping human biology as an evening course - arrrggghhh!

I cannot find any other evening human biology classes nearby and am a bit wary of distance learning after hearing many bad reviews. So I was wondering how hard it would be to complete this A-level by myself (I have two years to get this done and quite a bit of spare time as my kids are at school and p/t nursery). I have looked on the AQA website for exam centres and there are lots near me so hopefully one will let me sit the exams there.

My questions are:

1) Is the recent change in a-levels going to be a problem when it comes to self study?
2) How do you submit coursework if you have no tutor?
3) Where can you get all the information you need (the syllabus, the coursework deadlines etc)?

Thanks in advance!

Yurtgirl123 Sat 29-Aug-09 23:05:09

Hi nikki - I have no idea re the answers to your questions
Only a suggestion - try asking here if you get no answers on this thread as posters there are very knowledgeable about independant study at home

I hope you succeed in your studies

nikki1978 Sat 29-Aug-09 23:10:31

Thank you! Have followed your suggestion

Yurtgirl123 Sat 29-Aug-09 23:16:59

You might get ideas from those who know about Further Education as well of course - but im thinking that most people doing further ed probably do it through a college or OU etc
Loads of HE kids do A levels at home fairly independently and then do exams at a centre
Some exam boards are less keen on coursework than others I think?

pearleyes Mon 31-Aug-09 22:07:07

You could do Biology A level via distance learning with the NEC - you have a tutor and all the materials are written by them.

MmeProf Mon 31-Aug-09 22:43:59

You need to check with the awarding body that you can do your subject as a private candidate.

What this means in practice is that there is no teacher-assessed coursework or practical, and you can do all the work required from books.

nikki1978 Tue 01-Sep-09 07:41:29

Thank you Mmeprof that is the exact advice I needed! I am pretty sure as the maths I am doing at college is Edexcel I can't also sit as an external candidate with them so wil give AQA a call today.

Thanks Pearleyes. This is another option although I have not been able to get on their website for days now....

MmeProf Tue 01-Sep-09 08:23:49

I had a look around.

Edexcel don't appear to offer Human Biology at all.

For AQA, you can do the taught units yourself, but need to go to a center for the coursework components (ISAs), where the practical would have to be supervised by a teacher and then marked.

The challenge for you would be to find a centre where this specification is taught, and who would be willing to accept you as a private candidate, in class for practicals. Private candidates in exam halls are not usually a problem, but it is more complicated when you are in the lab, and then they need to mark your work.

However, you can only ask! Good luck.

MmeProf Tue 01-Sep-09 08:33:11

The Welsh board looks interesting as the practical work is marked by the Board, however, it looks like it takes 3 months to do!

I think what you could do is trawl around the various awarding bodies and read the specification for Units 3 and 6, which the practical components that have to be done in centres.

nikki1978 Tue 01-Sep-09 14:12:33

Hmmm... I will call around today and ask. Another problem is the actual study in preparation for the lab work. I don't have a lab handy unfortunately

Thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now