Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone done a sign language course - if so have you gone on to use it as a job?

(4 Posts)
Sparkler Sun 23-Aug-09 21:44:41

In September I've booked to do a day session for "Introduction to sign language and lip reading". If I enjoy it I may well go on to sign up for the full course of British Sign Language.
I'd just be really interested to hear of anyone that has done any of these courses and as to whether or not it has been useful to them in finding employment using signing afterwards.
I'm just concerned that I will pay out all the money to learn BSL and then won't know how/where to make use of it afterwards.
Thanks.

Jaynerae Mon 24-Aug-09 14:24:47

I have two aunties that have done this course and gone on to get jobs using the skills. Auntie 1 is a communicator for students attending college. She attends their lessons with them and signs to the student what the lecturer is saying. Some of the students have special needs, learning disabilities, some just need an interpretor. She earns an incredible hourly rate and currently works 2.5 days a week which is her choice. You generally work with a student all through their academic year. She has been doing it for about 8 years and loves it.
Auntie 2 works for the Deaf institute and co-ordinates interpretors, generally to attend meetings with deaf pople - to the council, to job interviews, to solicitors, police stations alsorts of things. My grandparents where deaf so all my mums family grew up knowing sign language, my aunites juist got the qualification and used it go get jobs.

Sparkler Mon 24-Aug-09 14:30:18

Thanks, that's interesting Jaynerae. I have no experience whatsoever, unless you count watching Mr Tumble on the TV grin grin so I hope I'll be okay.

Jaynerae Mon 24-Aug-09 15:05:04

Good luck! I hope it works out for you - there is no reason why it shouldn't if you practise at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now