Talk

Advanced search

Uni with good maths course and lots of theatre?

(8 Posts)
StayingZen Thu 04-Jun-09 13:55:24

DD, currently doing AS exams, is completely stage-struck (backstage tyrant, not drama queen) but realizes that a degree in stage management may be too limiting if she goes off it later. She is doing AS in Theatre Studies, History, German and Maths, and should get A or B grades. A maths degree is a newly considered possibility - anyone know of a respected course at a Uni with a strong student theatre, and does it matter that all her other subjects are arts? All advice gratefully received.

snorkle Thu 04-Jun-09 15:14:55

Any chance she could do AS further maths next year as an extra? Most well respected maths degree courses really, really prefer it if you have at least AS further maths. It is possible to self-study it or do it via the further maths network if her school doesn't offer it.

I would think any Russell group university would have a respected maths course - I don't know which have good theatre opportunities though.

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 04-Jun-09 15:20:39

Well back in my day Exeter would have fit the bill, though no idea how the years have changed things.

FfloraPoste Thu 04-Jun-09 15:24:39

York.
she probably would need further maths too though.

CMOTdibbler Thu 04-Jun-09 15:32:06

How about Cardiff ? The maths department is good, and there is a very strong student theatre there.

Personally, I'd go for doing Stage Management (Welsh school of Music and Drama do one that is very successfull) as maths is hard going (I speak as a physicist with many math friends), and unless there is something she is motivated to do with it, may not motivate her

BonsoirAnna Thu 04-Jun-09 15:33:10

Bristol University.

Lilymaid Wed 10-Jun-09 17:14:51

I think that she would need to get a very good A grade at A Level in Maths if she wishes to study it at university and she should ideally be taking Further Maths A Level. DS1's girlfriend started a Maths course at a Russell Group university and found it very hard going - particularly as she had not done Further Maths or Additional Maths AS (or any of the other extra Maths qualifications that there are) - and is now studying Classics. I know several other people who have had similar experiences.

monkeyfeathers Fri 03-Jul-09 17:40:48

What about Glasgow? One advantage might be that you're not stuck with your original choice of degree there. You take 3 subjects in first year from a choice of all subjects in your faculty (none of which need be the subject you applied for - although i think theatre and film and tv are exceptions there because they're popular) and you can end up taking any of them to honours. You can take both maths and theatre studies in the arts faculty. That way, she wouldn't be stuck doing maths if it wasn't for her.

Bristol'd be a reasonable choice too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now