Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Will my brain remember how to study?

(12 Posts)
glinda Thu 16-Oct-08 22:35:27

I am in my mid 40s and have not really studied since my PGCE over 20 years ago. I would love to take on a university course next year which my employer have offered to fund. It is a one off opportunity and the subject matter is something I feel passionate about - but I don't know if my brain can do what it used to do! Seriously, when I was a student in the past I only had myself to consider. I didn't have to teach a class of 4 year olds, look after my own family and keep my home semi decent! I thought that essay deadlines were a thing of the past!!! Advise please from anyone who has returned to study after so long. How did you blow the cobwebs off a rusty brain?

MaryBS Thu 16-Oct-08 22:40:53

I left the cobwebs to "grow" round the house! Something had to give - and its the tidyness of the house. My brain has slowly come back to me, and I'm enjoying studying, but its bloody knackering sometimes when you have kids to look after too!

Tiramissu Thu 16-Oct-08 22:46:28

I actually found it easier the second time around (late 30s), better in managing my time, focusing more etc.
Maybe because the first time around (19 yrs old) i had a permanent hangover

childrenofthecornsilk Thu 16-Oct-08 22:47:45

I also found it easier and more enjoyable 2nd time round. Do it!

glinda Thu 16-Oct-08 22:54:03

That's encouraging! I will certainly be more motivated this time as the course if fantastically relevant to my current work.

childrenofthecornsilk Thu 16-Oct-08 22:58:31

what do you want to study?

codtrolfreaky Thu 16-Oct-08 23:02:11

i found my motivation was much better, as was my ability to focus and time manage.... but my memory was crap! still worth it though.... good luck.

glinda Thu 16-Oct-08 23:05:48

I am a teacher. This is a post grad course about a range of developmental delays and disorders. It includes dyslexia, ASD, ADHD and more.

glinda Thu 16-Oct-08 23:07:45

Codtrolfreaky - I worry about my memory too. I used to hold so much info in my head when I was younger but have to write it all down now

Tiramissu Thu 16-Oct-08 23:07:49

It sounds interesting. Good luck smile

glinda Thu 16-Oct-08 23:09:55

Thanks smile Off to bed now.

Elkat Sun 19-Oct-08 11:56:28

It is hard work, but if you enjoy the topic, then it is worthwhile and can be done. I work 0.6 as a teacher, have two children (5 and 2), and have all the usual stuff to manage... but it can be done. I'm currently doing a second MA, and am able to fit most of my study into school holidays (evenings), with one evening a week study. I need to be organised, but it is manageable and I enjoy studying. I love stretching my brain... particularly when I can use it for my job.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now