Talk

Advanced search

Am I too old?

(34 Posts)
lilacclaire Wed 09-Apr-08 18:06:45

I hate my job with a vengence (debt collector in a call centre) and have kind of been drifting since having ds.
My partner works in care and is now a manager and i've always thought his job sounds great (yes I do hear all the moans as well).
I can't see myself working the rest of my life out doing what I do just now.
I have very little qualifications, they would all probably be obsolete by now anyway, at 32 and a HALF grin
am I too old to start again.
Im really worried about what finances you receive etc, could anyone give any advice on that. TIA!!
Oh and ive just submitted an application to college...

hercules1 Wed 09-Apr-08 18:08:20

God,no You've got 30 years at least work left in you. Dh is 38 and is having a major career change as didnt want to spend the rest of his life doing what he was doing.

lilacclaire Wed 09-Apr-08 18:08:21

Also I bumped into a woman i used to work with a few years ago and she had went into this line of work (this is what got me thinking about it) and she was glowing saying she couldn't believe how great it was.

zippitippitoes Wed 09-Apr-08 18:08:24

of course you arent too old i am atr colege full time and i am 50

so good lukc finances depends on what kind of course and whether you have tax credits or benefits

there are various things to help and colleges have hardship funds for the worst off

dustystar Wed 09-Apr-08 18:08:48

You are never too old imogrin My Mum went back to uni fulltime and did her B.ED. My I was 14 and my sisters were 12 and 7. There is support out there but it was grants in my day and its chnaged now.

Good luck with you applicationsmile

FioFio Wed 09-Apr-08 18:09:02

Message withdrawn

lilacclaire Wed 09-Apr-08 18:09:34

Thanks H, I can't see myself hounding people for the next 30 years or even 30 months but DP really loves his work and im so jealous of that.

dustystar Wed 09-Apr-08 18:09:38

Meant to add that Mum was 40 when she startedsmile

lilacclaire Wed 09-Apr-08 18:10:56

Im just going to go for it.
F* the money side, we're not in debt and we all like beans!
I feel like a weight has been lifted!

FioFio Wed 09-Apr-08 18:12:43

Message withdrawn

Tnog Wed 09-Apr-08 18:12:48

I teach art to adults and it's fantastic to see how much they blossom during their course.

Good luck with the college application.

lilacclaire Wed 09-Apr-08 18:14:41

Thanks everyone, your encouragement means a lot.
Im hoping to work with adults with learning disabilities as a support worker.
Not glamarous but quite rewarding I would imagine (unlike present job)

barnstaple Wed 09-Apr-08 18:17:01

NO YOU ARE NOT TOO OLD!!!!!

I went to University at 34. It was fantastic and a great start to a new life.

My experience of the lecturers at Uni/college is that they are delighted with mature students as they are there because they want to be and are interested in the subjects.

Have a fantastic time. Best of luck.

By the way, there's a University of the Third Age which is for pensioners, so at 32 you'd be too young. My mum started Cosmology at the age of 77, having been studying Geology for about 5 years before that.

Life Long Learning. Go for it.

SubRosa Wed 09-Apr-08 19:12:20

Definitely go for it. I'm at uni, doing a part-time degree and it's brilliant. Although it's hard work, I don't regret it for a minute.

miffymum Wed 09-Apr-08 19:21:29

You are NEVER too old. You'll probably get loads out of your course that a younger undergraduate wouldn't - if my experience was anything to go by I was far too busy getting drunk and 'finding myself' and only figured out the education part was quite interesting about 3 weeks before my finals. Doh.

lizziemun Wed 09-Apr-08 19:25:45

You not to old. I'm 38 and am just about to start a correspondence (sp) course just have to decide whether to do book keeping or to a course to be a class room assistance.

scottishmummy Wed 09-Apr-08 19:25:52

Go for it!many careers actually value and accomodate life skills and maturity
eg Social work
teaching
public sector

nhs careers

teaching career

social care and social work

already you have tons of skills
- organised
- meet deadlines
- work under pressure
-etc

lilacclaire Wed 09-Apr-08 21:06:23

I definetly wouldn't have had the maturity required to do a course/job im hoping for when I was younger, so thats true and yes i want to be there as opposed to still 'finding myself' (took long enough though).
Im really feeling positive about this.
Just need to pass the driving test now, dp is very supportive as this is his line of work, so I suppose thats a bonus and support in the actual learning.
Can't wait, am just going to get started as soon as possible, no putting it off until this or that is paid or anything, both feet straight in.
I know its not great paid, but i'd rather get shit wages for doing something i like, rather than shit wages for doing a job i hate (like just now)

scottishmummy Wed 09-Apr-08 21:12:22

plus support woker can lead to senior support worker or team leader etc. how exciitibg - changes phwoar

lilacclaire Sat 12-Apr-08 13:26:21

To be honest, i think i would be happy being a support worker, ive never been very ambitious as in a career climber, I would just be extremely happy doing a job I actually enjoy!
I can't wait to be a student, better get the botox topped up so I don't look like an old hippy haha smile

kdk Wed 20-Aug-08 19:20:04

Go for it - I'm 44 and about to start college to retrain as a literacy/esol teacher. You are never too old to learn something new! Good luck in whatever choice you make

Missytrouble Wed 20-Aug-08 21:46:23

Good luck lilacclaire!

I am starting a social work degree in September. Am giving up a good salaried part time job but like you I knew I couldn't do the job for lots of years to come. I'm 37 so v old

Go for it and have a great time!

PavlovtheCat Wed 20-Aug-08 21:48:47

Not too old at all.

I have enquired, for example about re-training as a lawyer, thought I was well past it, and was advised by local law firm that they in fact like older students as they are less likely to bugger off chasing their careers, have more commitments to keep them there, and have lots of life experience. I was actively encouraged. I have a degree already, so would take 4 years? to re-train at 31.

So, absolutely not too old!!!!

ilovemydog Thu 21-Aug-08 21:09:46

My mom did her Ph.d at 55...

pavlov, if you already have a degree, can't you just do the conversion course? It's only a year full time...

PavlovtheCat Thu 21-Aug-08 21:21:44

Ilovemydog - 1 year conversion, 1 year bar/solicitor equivalent, 2 years pupilage/trainee/internment whatever its called. shock. All the conversion course does is change my degree into law degree, I still have to do all the other stuff that law students have, on top of that.

I am going to do it, but not right now. Its a LOT of work, will involve a huge income drop and we cant do it just yet. But I will.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now