Studying with a newborn

(4 Posts)
allhappeningatonce Tue 08-Sep-20 20:04:42

Hi! Last year I started doing some undergraduate modules online to help with my career prospects (linked to my job) - I need to complete four modules in total (I already have a degree - this is like a top up!). The modules are about one and a half times the size of a typical taught in person module in a uni.
The course runs October to May, with 3 essays throughout the year & online exams in May. Last year I did two modules and found it tough enough to manage with a very stressful job but I passed ok!
I was planning on completing the final two modules this academic year. However, I am expecting a baby in January. Would it be wiser to only try to complete one module instead & aim to knock out the essays by Christmastime? Would it be impossible to manage the two modules with a newborn? Or would it be better to attempt them both this year because it might be harder to manage any additional work with a 1 year old the following year? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
babyname8993 Tue 08-Sep-20 20:14:42

Hey

I'm in the exact same position as you. Baby due end of October. Started my Masters this year. Second module starts in October. I am going to persevere and try and continue. I hate quitting things, if and when I do complete my masters it will benefit my career in the long run.

If you found your previous module difficult to juggle then can you defer your modules. Is that an option for you?

You don't need to stress yourself or put yourself under pressure to get assignments completed because there will be other things for you to worry about and get sorted.

How is your supporting network? Can anyone help to take the work load off so your able to concentrate?

iusedtoloveopalfruits1 Tue 08-Sep-20 20:15:24

I haven’t done it but you will be tired, and maybe not able to focus as much.
It really depends on the type of baby have. They might be super chilled and it’s fine or they might be colicky and crying for hours and hours.

allhappeningatonce Tue 08-Sep-20 20:50:36

Thanks for your replies! I don't think it's easy to defer once you get started & I won't have a lot of family support nearby. My partner would help out of course but he has a busy job so I'd like family time to be family time!!
Probably best I just do the one- I hadn't even thought about colic! Don't think crying and essays go hand in hand! Thank you!!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in