Talk

Advanced search

2020 or 2021?

(10 Posts)
kgal Thu 18-Jun-20 09:12:56

Looking for some advice. My DS (19) was at uni for a term and dropped out. He is now working full time and the plan was to reapply to uni for a different course to start in Sept 2021.

He is now wondering whether he should try and get a place to start this year instead as there may be more spaces available due to students deferring. His grades are ACC which aren't quite good enough for the unis he would ideally like so less competition for spaces would be good for him.

I know nobody knows for sure but some thoughts would be welcome! Also he hasn't gone through UCAS so how does that work? Presumably unis won't know until after results day when students make their decision.

Thanks in advance

OP’s posts: |
kgal Thu 18-Jun-20 19:22:22

Bumping just in case anyone can help!

TabbyStar Thu 18-Jun-20 19:30:31

There's a bit at the end of this suggesting this year. I thought I read a longer article somewhere but can't find it https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fa4b5ffe-b0b9-11ea-839f-3d38a5cc49e9?shareToken=248a064daf337187a15bde252ad5a3ed - basically 2021 is likely to be really competitive, and although things may not be back to normal this year, they will at some point giving a more normal student experience.

kgal Thu 18-Jun-20 19:56:42

Thanks for that, I thought that may be the case. It seems to make sense to try this year I think.

Lunar567 Thu 18-Jun-20 22:35:00

Who knows how competitive it will be in 2021. I think because the schooling is so bad for the current Y12 many of them may lose enthusiasm for university in 2021.

MillicentMartha Thu 18-Jun-20 23:20:36

I’d definitely try this year. Many fewer have applied, up to 65k less! There’ll be lots of places. He’ll have to pull his socks up and get on with it quickly though.

kgal Thu 18-Jun-20 23:46:51

I think you're right - thanks for the replies

Serin Fri 19-Jun-20 10:37:22

ACC will probably be worth a lot more this year than in 2021.

BlackCrow Fri 19-Jun-20 23:16:37

I think it would be well worth him considering going this year and seeing what he can pick up in clearing (which starts July 6th).
As other posters have said, it's supposed to be a "buyer's market" this year, with the smallest cohort of freshers transferring for almost two decades (due to low birthrate in 2001-02) - and that's before Covid19 came along which may cause some students to defer, and overseas students not to come to the UK at all.
I think universities are going to be very keen to fill their places and your DS may find some real gems - urge him to aim high in his choices as those grades aren't awful and it's not inconceivable that a course usually demanding ABB or even AAB would let him in.
See this newspaper article: www.theguardian.com/education/2020/jun/17/this-year-students-have-a-better-chance-of-getting-into-a-top-university
I also think that if he waits another year, not only will it be more competitive, but he will find himself with course-mates who are, on the whole, two school years younger than him. After almost two years in the workplace, I expect school-leavers will feel very young to him and he might find it easier to make friends this year rather than next.
If he doesn't see anything he likes in clearing, then he has lost nothing; he can reapply in the autumn for 2021 and work for another year.

kgal Sat 20-Jun-20 09:38:53

Thanks so much for the reply - it's really helpful especially as I didn't know that clearing starts in July! Seems to make total sense to go for it this year.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »