Talk

Advanced search

Midwifery Degree as a mature student

(4 Posts)
pingu777 Thu 04-Jun-20 09:38:49

Hoping for some advice from the wise Mumsnetters!

I had always wanted to study medicine, obs/gyn specifically or midwifery. I didn't get too much guidance from parents/ teachers and ended up going on to do something different. It's been something I've always thought about/ regretted and have said I'd do differently if I had my time again. I looked at it several times over the past few years but decided against it due to finances/ relationships/ lift situation etc.

Early this year I split with my long term partner and couldn't stand my job so decided it was finally the time to just go for it, and put in an application! Fast forward to now, I do really enjoy my job and life situation, but had a whirlwind interview process and have been offered a place for this September! I have my heart set on it but I'm now considering all the what ifs and challenges ahead. What would you do? Or what have you done in a similar position and would you do it differently?

OP’s posts: |
JacobReesMogadishu Fri 05-Jun-20 11:17:44

I did midwifery as a mature student and it's hard, really hard. You have to have a passion and a love for midwifery to get you through it I think.

I spent 3 years pretty much doing 60 hour weeks - lectures, placement hours, independent reading and assignments. Expect your life to go on hold for 3 years. But it's worth it.

Emmz141 Sun 07-Jun-20 15:27:41

Hi pingu777
I am following this thread. Really considering applying for Midwifery degree 2021; I have two small children 7 and 5 and wondering would this have a detrimental affect on my family. Or with it be worth it for the long term gain.

Also, do you have recent study? I have a BSc Hons degree from the 2010 and lots of clinic experience but unsure if I will need more recent study In order to apply!

Northernsoullover Sun 07-Jun-20 15:40:29

I'm not studying midwifery but I am a very mature student. I don't know if you have children? I do and its been hard but not impossible. Absolutely no regrets. I love it. I'm doing a vocational degree so I hope this opens doors for me!
Midwifery is incredibly competitive I believe so you have done exceptionally well to get on the course. Congratulations

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »