Talk

Advanced search

Applying for MSc without transcripts

(10 Posts)
abeilles Fri 15-May-20 18:35:13

I am applying for an MSc and the online application process requires me to upload my transcripts of my BA and MA before they will process the application.

It's been 25 years since I completed my BA and 15 since my MA and I've long since lost my own copies of the transcripts (I just have the certificates). I've contacted my previous unis and received automated replies from both saying they aren't processing transcripts due to corona.

I've contacted the uni I want to apply to and they've replied basically saying 'tough'.

Does anyone know a way around this? Surely I can't be the only potential applicant unable to get hold of transcripts? I was expecting to be told it could be a conditional offer until such time as transcripts could be submitted.

OP’s posts: |
Veterinari Fri 15-May-20 18:50:57

Have you contacted the programme director or just the central admissions team?
PD may be more flexible

Random63638 Fri 15-May-20 18:57:03

Can you ask for an e-mailed copy of what's on their register to be sent directly to the place you are applying? I guess the transcript might be signed by someone high up so it's hard to provide but they should still be able to access digital records.

Random63638 Fri 15-May-20 18:58:15

Failing that I would upload the rejection email in place of the transcript and it might just get you past some daft automatic gatekeeping stage..... But last resort.

abeilles Fri 15-May-20 19:01:13

I think the transcript is just an automated list with scanned signature on headed paper from what I remember my lost ones looked like. I'm not sure why they can't provide them electronically, but there must be a reason given two separate institutions have said the same thing (unless it's due to furloughed staff?).

I wondered about emailing the programme director but as the application process is automated I assumed my application will sit in the ether due to missing transcripts and won't actually get out of the central checking system into the department.

abeilles Fri 15-May-20 19:02:24

Yes! I was thinking just attaching screenshots of the automated message in the transcript part and keeping my fingers crossed. It's the only way I could see of circumventing the automated process.

SockYarn Fri 15-May-20 19:05:30

Hello, I was in exacrly the same position as you. I graduated in 1995, applying for a Masters starting in September.

I would email the registry at the uni where you did your undergraduate degree, or a contact name you can find on the website for the department. A lot of people are working from home. Email as many people as you can find details from and hopefully one will point you in the right direction.

Good luck - what's the Masters in?

Random63638 Fri 15-May-20 19:08:59

I mean realistically noone is going to turn you down because you scored 50% on "introduction to computing" in the late 90's given the extent of your work experience so yeah I'd play the system. I would also contact the program director to apologise and ask if they can keep an eye out for your application because you have taken all reasonable steps. Assuming your overall grade meets requirements they aren't going to give a rat's ass about individual module results but if you can list the modules that might help.

abeilles Fri 15-May-20 19:22:55

Thanks. I'm applying for a criminology MSc. I got a 2:2 from my BA (too much partying!!) and a distinction in my MA which was social policy. I'll contact the PD over the weekend and explain the situation. It's for a Sept 2020 start so I'm keen to get application in whilst it's still open.

Corru Sat 30-May-20 07:12:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »