Divorced parents student finance

(5 Posts)
MissSmiley Fri 01-May-20 18:37:57

I can't find a thread from a while ago about applying for student finance based on household income, it was about a step dad having a high income but the child wasn't his and this affected the child's application

Someone I know is applying for finance for this year but she lives with her ex step dad not her mum, whose income needs to be put on the form?

OP’s posts: |
MillicentMartha Fri 01-May-20 19:51:11

It’s the household income where the student mainly lives. So if with her mum and step dad, both their incomes, if with dad and step mum, both their incomes. Whatever address they use for school probably, or which parent gets child benefit.

MillicentMartha Fri 01-May-20 19:52:33

Hmm, sorry, re-read your post. So she doesn’t live with either parent? Could she be classed as independent?

MillicentMartha Fri 01-May-20 19:54:49

I think she might need to phone their helpline.

MissSmiley Fri 01-May-20 20:48:58

I don't think she qualifies as an independent because she's not completely no contact with her mum but hasn't lived with her for a year, but her step dad isn't her parent

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in