Talk

Advanced search

Loughborough for the non-sporty student?

(11 Posts)
Pebbles574 Fri 03-Apr-20 17:16:34

Does anyone have a child at Loughborough who is more into the Arts than sport? How do they find it?

DS has an offer (design/arts subject) and thinks it's probably his first choice from a course/university point of view, but we were a bit shocked by quite how sporty it seemed when we visited!
Everyone seemed to be in a tracksuit and there was so much emphasis on all the sports clubs and activities (but it WAS a Wednesday - is that 'sports afternoon'?

DS works out/ lifts weights/cycles etc, but is not a competitive sports person. Is more into drama/ arts hobbies.

Would he hate it at Loughborough?

OP’s posts: |
raspberryrippleicecream Fri 03-Apr-20 20:52:19

My nephew was at Loughborough a few years ago. He had a great time there. He is not sporty, people did tend to ask what sport he did when he told the where he was studying though! I do seem to remember him saying that it the sports facilities tended to be used by the serious athletes though.

ArnoldBee Fri 03-Apr-20 21:01:38

I think its sports dat everyday at Loughborough as thats what it is known for but doesnt mean it cant be great for other things too.

Ingles2 Fri 03-Apr-20 21:11:14

I have a first year son at l'boro... he's studying Economics. Wednesday is sports afternoon yes, he goes to the gym, plays football etc... but that's about it. So not seriously sporty... he really likes it there, Its quite small, good for him as he's not hugely confident.. From my point of view, Loughborough (town) doesn't have a lot going for it,. its quite run down, there's not much there other than the uni... That said, its not far at all from Nottingham, Leicester etc.. it has a great reputation for student satisfaction, and all ds and his friends seem to love it..

Ihatemyseleffordoingthis Fri 03-Apr-20 21:27:59

I had friends who studied textiles there back in the day. They loved it- but it is a small town. Arts courses are well thought of.

KatnissMellark Fri 03-Apr-20 21:34:02

I went to Loughborough. Wednesday is sports afternoon so you'll have seen it at its absolute sportiest. It's a fab uni for everyone, regardless of interest on sport. Plenty of arts and other activities (charity, volunteering, outdoor pursuits etc) going on as well. The town is small but the student union is huge (think it had 9? different bars in it when I was there, multiple club rooms with different types of music). We used to get the bus into Nottingham or Leicester for shopping.

I loved my time there and would wholeheartedly recommend.

Decorhate Sat 04-Apr-20 08:16:26

Ds is not at Loughborough but at another uni which also has a reputation for being very sporty. He has zero interest in playing sport & still loves it there.

minesawine Sat 04-Apr-20 11:14:45

My DS chose NTU over Loughborough because of the over emphasis on sport, as he would never make competitive teams, and didnt want to. He also felt it was a bit too far out of town for him. His 2 friends did go to Loughborough and meet up with him in Nottingham all the time because it is much more lively.

Eve Mon 11-May-20 08:54:47

My DS is at Loughborough and not sporty, he’s doing engineering, lives with 6 other engineers who are not sporty.

The sport is there and facilities are great and he has a commonwealth athlete in some of his classes, but the university is about more than sport. Lots of Other facilities and opportunities.

It’s a great uni, DS2 is heading there next year as well.

IthinkIsawahairbrushbackthere Wed 13-May-20 00:55:27

My son is as far from sporty as it is possible to be. He is in Loughborough and very happy there. He has done two years study and is coming to the end of his year in industry with one more year's study to go.

He is a little different as his life was always outside campus but he has made really good friends and is doing really well.

caringcarer Wed 13-May-20 01:12:01

My niece went to Loughborough because she pkays a lot of sport. At the time she pkayed hockey for her county but could not get inyo Loughborough first team until end of her second year. She swam for her lical town but despite doing 4 sessions of swim training every week and sometimes more she vould not get into the swim team. The sports teams there are seriously good. I once taught a Sixth former who ran 800m and 1500m for Ireland and she got lower offer because of her running times.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »