Advanced search

Housing benefit and doing a degree?

(19 Posts)
2babesmum Tue 11-Sep-07 20:44:00

Hi, I have just started my degree in social work . Single parent of 2 children. I am getting around 10,000 in grants and bursaries and wondered how likely it'll be that I get any housing benefit? Put in the forms but need to make plans now money wise.

PillockOfTheCommunity Tue 11-Sep-07 22:03:21

I was told that as a student I would not be entitled to any Housing Benefit, I would instead be expected to take the full Student Loan to pay my rent hmm

2babesmum Tue 11-Sep-07 23:18:10

Oh right hmm was hoping not to have to take it all out. Will have to end up 20,000 in debt shock. Oh the joys of student life!

PillockOfTheCommunity Tue 11-Sep-07 23:27:06

was one of the biggest reasons for me studying part-time and continuing to work sad

CitizenColditz Tue 11-Sep-07 23:28:13

Not even if you have kids? They still won't help you with your rent?

Benefits trap indeed!

PillockOfTheCommunity Tue 11-Sep-07 23:33:03

nope, they said that the Student loan is there to cover living expenses, and rent is included in this, so I would have to take the entire loan and use that. but I could get help with the childcare hmm

Hansmummy Wed 12-Sep-07 00:07:49


I've taken out my full student loan and been told I won't get any help either (I'm a single parent too), have rented the cheapest place I could find and it's £950 pcm-am petrified! I'm in Cambridge so it's London rental prices. Might have to move to a one bed flat and all sleep in the same room-argh! Even that's £800 though. Will let you know if I find anything out though.

PillockOfTheCommunity Wed 12-Sep-07 00:11:58

you could try moving just outside Cambridge, I'm in Bury St Edmunds and rent gets less as you get out of the city, Ely is better value and there are frequent trains?

Hansmummy Wed 12-Sep-07 00:26:10

I have to live within 5 miles of my college-it's one of those Cambridge "traditions" or you can't collect your degree. Asked if I could move to Ely and got a flat "no", argh! Don't really want to do a house-share either as don't think it would be good for dd. The university states that you are only allowed to work in the holidays too, but hopefully that will take some pressure off. We'll all manage-others have before us!

PillockOfTheCommunity Wed 12-Sep-07 13:36:26

has anyone mentioned the family accomodation that they have? we were told about it when they visited our Access course to try and convince us to go to Cambridge.

Hansmummy Wed 12-Sep-07 20:32:59

It was all full-they have six houses to cover all of the students, boo! And you must take them fully furnished, and I couldn't afford storage for my stuff on top of the rent and didn't want to sell it all and start from scratch again in 3 years.
It is looking promising though-I think I may get something-not too much but every little helps-you must have £59 a week to live on-it's government stipulation, and so anything above that your housing benefit decreases, but the full student loan eeked out over twelve months amounts to about that (they don't take grants into consideration apparently).

PillockOfTheCommunity Wed 12-Sep-07 20:38:01

glad to hear it

Hansmummy Wed 12-Sep-07 23:36:47

Thank you xx

onehackedoffmuma Sun 16-Sep-07 15:45:59

I completed my BA 2 years ago, and had my ds 3 months before my finals. I received Housing Benefit to cover the rent from the date of ds' birth so I would think you would be entitled to some Housing Benefit. Are you a full time undergrad?

I'm not sure which uni you are going to but I was at Sussex and the amount of support I received was tremendous. Make sure you get in touch with a student advisor as they can help you or at least point you in the right direction.

Find out about the Access to Learning Fund, as you may be eligible for some of this at some point. I received a chunk in my final year as I was unable to work during the last few weeks of my pregnancy and having ds.


Peachy Sun 16-Sep-07 15:49:05

Friends get housing benefit on top of their loans, also income support during the summer when they are not classed as a student.

Do be careful about notifying them of changes though- friend for got to tell them about £15 a week college-arranged mentoring, as a result she was cautioned by benefits staff as a benefits cheat! (College ahd told her it wasnt taken into consideration, she wasnt trying to cheat anyone)

2babesmum Sun 16-Sep-07 22:19:23

Hi, I'm a full time undergraduate at Plymouth uni. To get the access to learning fund I would have to take all possible loans out and I'm reluctant to do. I have told housing about every last penny.

Peachy Mon 17-Sep-07 10:31:04

What I would say is that Access is a limited fund- they puta side X at the start fo the year and when its out, its out. So if you think you'll have any concerns later on, it is worth taking the laons, putting them in an ISA and then applying for access.

mulitmum Wed 19-Sep-07 17:49:44

hi, any advice regarding how benefits are effect when receving a nhs bursaries ? i have just started universty doing dip i have two children and i am a single mum

2babesmum Sun 23-Sep-07 21:06:38

You're in the same boat as me then. I have the nhs bursary, fee loan, maintenence grant and parents learning allowance. Income support is a no no and I'm putting in my forms tomorrow for housing benefit so we'll see. Also my child tax credits have not been affected if thats any help?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: