Talk

Advanced search

Calling accountants - can you help me decide which (if any) qualification do to?

(73 Posts)
CountessDraculaPI Wed 05-Sep-07 11:15:57

I have worked for about 13 years implementing financial systems as a Business Consultant/Analyst and Project Manager, I am effectively a systems accountant but qualified by experience. I became self-employed this year and I am wondering if I might do some kind of qualification to bolster my CV a bit. Also I'm sure there are huge gaps in my knowledge as I have just picked it all up as I go.

I have worked in all sorts of businesses but I would like to target consultancies as I like this sort of work best. I work with lots of FDs, FCs and Managment accountants in this area so I guess I could ask their advice but I don't want to flag up the fact that I am not qualified (though I never pretend to be and whenever I say it people look amazed as I do talk a good game!)

The two I was looking at are the DipFM or maybe a CIMA qualification (the certificate to start). Would these be appropriate? Not really sure about all the different qualification and what is percieved as being most valuable in my sort of area.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Kewcumber Wed 05-Sep-07 11:31:28

Are you sure you need one? I'm an ACA and I'm always happy to recruit people who are qualified by experience. Particularly as a consultant.

You can fill in your knowledge gaps by doing one off courses with FTC or BPP. ONly ohter thing I would say is that I haven't heard of DipFM so I wouldn;t bother! However I'm not in systems so it may have more currency in that field.

Kewcumber Wed 05-Sep-07 11:32:10

recommendation from clietns would count far more in my book when employing consultants.

CountessDraculaPI Wed 05-Sep-07 11:32:22

The DipFM is an ACCA post grad qualification for managers

Kewcumber Wed 05-Sep-07 11:33:00

shows how much I know!

CountessDraculaPI Wed 05-Sep-07 11:34:09

That's very interesting thanks KC
I have always found that to be the case, I just thought as I want to remain self-employed it might benefit me particularly for short-term contracts (which have higher rates!) to demonstrate that I am qualified

CountessDraculaPI Wed 05-Sep-07 11:35:36

DipFM

It is not really an accountancy qualification, however it would show I understood the principles)

CountessDracula Wed 05-Sep-07 14:00:39

bump

bossykate Wed 05-Sep-07 14:04:33

i think we are career twins, except i'm an ACA <<<preens>>> wink

agree that you should check out FTC or BPP - these are the big training providers to the profession. see if they can recommend the ideal course for your situation.

have you thought about doing the Project Management Professional certification?

CountessDracula Wed 05-Sep-07 14:06:10

And do you earn more as a result??

Kewcumber Wed 05-Sep-07 14:06:14

or better still just buy a certificate online and add the letters to your name.

Kewcumber Wed 05-Sep-07 14:08:03

or is that not a helpful suggestion...

bossykate Wed 05-Sep-07 14:08:04

Project Management Institute

tbh, i'd expect this one to be a more useful credential - remember you're being hired for your pm/implementation experience. ime there's never a shortage of a/c subject matter experts - it's just they can't organise a p/up in a brewery!

bossykate Wed 05-Sep-07 14:10:21

well rates vary don't they? plus i'm on my first contract. i'd say the rate is for the pm experience rather than the accountancy tbh. i plan to do the pmp and i'd expect to be working higher responsibility jobs (therefore better paid) with that. i'd also expect to be able to widen my remit to e.g. pm training if i wanted. another qualification you could go for is prince 2 certification.

CountessDracula Wed 05-Sep-07 14:13:18

Yes have looked at Prince 2 or the APM qualifications. All the agencies say that all their clients value experience over these (unless you are working in govt which I don't want to do!) And I am not v intereted in it tbh. I like the Business consultnacy bit of my job best the PM bit I just tack on for good measure!!

bossykate Wed 05-Sep-07 14:15:28

it's true that a certificate doesn't make a good project manager. however, studying the theory, being able to articulate the benefits, implementing improvements are the result of your increased knowledge - all these are worthwhile.

what about an MBA then? or 6 Sigma?

jura Wed 05-Sep-07 14:15:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jura Wed 05-Sep-07 14:16:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bossykate Wed 05-Sep-07 14:17:22

also, i think you get to a certain stage in your pm career and it's possible to look rather ill educated if you can't articulate some of the theory - even if it's never used.

however, if that's not your interest, as you say, it's not really a big deal.

bossykate Wed 05-Sep-07 14:18:35

lol @ jura! i could be an FCA - i just haven't done the forms! <<<ponders>>> maybe i should!

CountessDracula Wed 05-Sep-07 14:22:00

Oh I can articulate it all
Have worked in prince2 environments a lot and read the book.. (well flicked through it!)

bossykate Wed 05-Sep-07 14:23:06

ok then do as i suggested and contact FTC and BPP and ask for their advice. or an MBA.

CountessDracula Wed 05-Sep-07 14:34:20

Yes I will
thanks so much

CountessDracula Wed 05-Sep-07 14:34:42

I just cannot be arsed to do an MBA wink

bossykate Wed 05-Sep-07 14:36:19

no me neither - takes years and really is of very limited use!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now