Talk

Advanced search

London Students Accommodation Costs

(25 Posts)
aibutohavethisusername Thu 30-Jan-20 19:00:35

How much are people paying for their DC for halls and then in second and third years?

OP’s posts: |
GreenTulips Thu 30-Jan-20 19:02:54

The information will be on the university web sites

YeOldeTrout Thu 30-Jan-20 19:15:40

The maintenance grant won't cover it. That part I can tell you.

AndThenThereWereSeven Sun 02-Feb-20 14:03:45

Marking place and wondering why posters don't just say

hairypear1234 Sun 02-Feb-20 14:55:42

5,800 for 1st year at Imperial College, North Acton, so a 30 min tube journey, hence why so cheap

HostessTrolley Sun 02-Feb-20 15:47:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HostessTrolley Sun 02-Feb-20 15:51:23

Sorry - posted the above in the wrong thread, have reported and asked for it to be moved x

My Dd is also in Acton :-)

hairypear1234 Sun 02-Feb-20 16:23:23

@HostessTrolley another Imperial student? I don't see many on here.

HostessTrolley Sun 02-Feb-20 16:45:54

Yes, first year medic so will probably live in Hammersmith/Charing Cross hospital area next year x

aibutohavethisusername Sun 02-Feb-20 17:16:07

I can see the figures for halls online. Was curious about the 2nd and 3rd and subsequent years.

OP’s posts: |
hairypear1234 Sun 02-Feb-20 17:38:57

@HostessTrolley first year Engineering student here. She's at Woodward currently and hoping to be there in year 2 as a hall senior. She's looked at some shared houses but the rent is so high.

HostessTrolley Sun 02-Feb-20 17:48:24

@hairypear1234 Dd is really enjoying being in Woodward but year 2 onwards more of her classes will be at Charing Cross hospital - I think (hope lol) that rent out there is less expensive than South Kensington area

hairypear1234 Sun 02-Feb-20 19:14:02

@HostessTrolley yes, South Ken isn't the cheapest place to live in London! I looked at some of the rents there and nearly fainted. Dd has the option of commuting in year 2, but thinks she wants to live in London so Hall Senior or a rented room in a cheap part of London seems to be the best option!

LIZS Sun 02-Feb-20 19:19:23

One of dd's cohort is in halls in Southwark , over £300 per week.

MarchingFrogs Sun 02-Feb-20 20:13:13

One of dd's cohort is in halls in Southwark , over £300 per week.

Is that one of the 'super' private halls?

OP, I think the thing with second year onwards rent is that it tends to be what rents are in the area, so to speak. So on the whole, a studio flat in Chelsea will be cheaper than a house-share in, (um, there must be somewhere left not so gentrified as the rest of Greater London?), say Bellingham or Penge. There isn't really a 'London' rent, nor very localised areas for each individual institution in the same way as one might say, for second year at Birmingham, you can expect to find somewhere more or less on the doorstep in Selly Oak and pay between £95 and £130 a week for it.

LIZS Sun 02-Feb-20 20:42:55

Might be a Unite one but not fully private iyswim.

LIZS Fri 07-Feb-20 16:21:35

UCL youtube video suggests up to £400pw including food, travel etc

ChelseaGirly Sat 08-Feb-20 14:14:34

When I was studying at UCL a lot of people moved as far out as zone 3 to reduce rental costs in years 2 and 3. Does not make for a good sense of student community with people so scattered. London has some world class universities of course, but I don't think London is a great city for students overall; I regret my choice.

alreadytaken Sun 09-Feb-20 14:59:38

It varied a bit but of the order of £8400 a year, sharing with friends, they were never in London halls. Bills were extra.

You can take a look on rightmove and see rental prices, it's cheaper if they can find at least 3 others to share with but larger houses are not easy to find. 3 sharers is very difficult as landlords dont want HMO responsibilty for 3. Some students do live a very long way away from their university but they dont always need to go to the university often.

Some parts of London are not pleasant to live, if accommodation looks very cheap it may be one of those areas.

awishes Sun 09-Feb-20 15:03:32

Imperial again here, first year was c£11k in halls, no choice but premium left.
Then 2nd 3rd year around the same in house share in Fulham. 4th year slightly cheaper in Hammersmith.
Get saving as maintenance loan doesn't cover rent even.

Cabsx2 Wed 12-Feb-20 23:09:29

DD stayed in halls in first year then moved zone 2 Stepney Green 2nd year - shared house of 4 £2k term each plus bills approx £600 term - cheapest than halls

EachandEveryone Thu 13-Feb-20 21:58:00

Oh, reading this is making me so sad for my niece whos waiting to hear from UAL its beyond what we can afford if the loan doesnt even cover it.

LittleDragonGirl Fri 14-Feb-20 16:10:39

Part time job?

goingoverground Fri 14-Feb-20 16:37:48

Here is the suggested budget from Imperial:

www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/fees-and-funding/managing-your-money/living-costs/

@EachandEveryone UAL has bursaries for students who receive the full maintenance grant:

www.arts.ac.uk/study-at-ual/fees-and-funding/scholarships-search/ual-bursaries

Your DN will also be able to get an interest free overdraft of up to £3k with her bank. There are other bursaries available from charities, eg for students in the first generation to go to uni.

@aibutohavethisusername Your DC might be eligible for a bursary as well as the loan. You need to look it up on the uni website eg Imperial has generous bursaries of up to £5k for students with a household income of less than £60k. At UCL it's up to £2.5k, up to £3.5k at Kings.

goingoverground Fri 14-Feb-20 16:46:08

@aibutohavethisusername rent will vary depending on which London uni it is unless your DC is willing to have a very long commute eg QML in Mile End or Imperial in South Ken.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »