Talk

Advanced search

Accredited Computer Science degrees

(11 Posts)
SpeedwellX Tue 07-Jan-20 23:38:00

Does it matter if a Computer Science degree is accredited? DS currently applying through UCAS. He liked Liverpool Hope but course does not appear to be accredited. Would he be better to choose York, Aberystwyth or Loughborough instead (all of which offer accredited courses)?

OP’s posts: |
SpoonBlender Tue 07-Jan-20 23:52:07

"An accredited degree entitles you to professional membership of BCS, which is an important part of the criteria for achieving Chartered IT Professional (CITP) status through the Institute."

It means nothing in the workplace. I've been hiring CS grads for jobs for fifteen years, never once have I hired anyone who made noise about CITP membership.

SpeedwellX Wed 08-Jan-20 15:47:53

@SpoonBlender

Thank you so much for this advice. That is really helpful.

EBearhug Wed 08-Jan-20 15:49:54

I agree - no one will care. I would look at course content and reviews, but not at accreditation.

SpoonBlender Wed 08-Jan-20 18:03:32

Similarly I got a Royal Institute membership on completing my own further ed - never did me any good, just cost me £300 a year until I grew confident enough in my own CV to give up on it.

I've asked my current HR team today and they agree - they consider such things more likely to indicate low experience or that the candidate is a bit poncy rather than being a plus! We're a science/tech industry with lots of PhDs.

Becca19962014 Wed 08-Jan-20 18:07:50

I wouldn't have got my year out placement if I'd been on a non accredited degree. It was what made the difference between me and others. When I graduated it helped me work in a statement later field and gain creditation towards that profession and some exemption (and I could work in that profession without being a member of the professional body).

SpeedwellX Wed 08-Jan-20 22:56:06

Becca. What is s statement later field?

Becca19962014 Thu 09-Jan-20 10:17:57

Should say "when I graduated it helped me work in a related field and gain creditation towards that profession.."

Why autocorrect felt it necessary to change that I've no idea confused
Apologies i should have checked before posting!

GrouchoMrx Fri 10-Jan-20 09:05:56

Accreditation makes little or no difference in Computer Science.

EBearhug Fri 10-Jan-20 09:28:00

A year out in industry would make a difference, though.

Becca19962014 Fri 10-Jan-20 10:35:14

It'll need to be a decent year in industry, properly arranged. I was very lucky with mine, a lot of people on my course were just shadowing for a year and learnt very little, many thought it a waste of time. I had a lot of responsibility, more so than others at the company doing a year in industry - it was scary but proved very useful when looking for jobs after graduating.

Like I said being accredited meant I got that job as I stood out from the other candidates being interviewed ( thousands turned up to be interviewed by the different departments - they had eight placements across the organisation) it's not always the case but was for me going for that particular placement.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »