Student loan for Masters plus sandwich year question

(12 Posts)
Chamomileteaplease Sat 14-Dec-19 14:52:56

I hope you can help with these queries smile:

If you do an undergraduate degree and have one year of placement within it, do you get a student maintenance loan for that year? If you are working full time, unpaid, on your placement, presumably you need some money to live?

Also, if you do have this placement year and therefore make your degree four years, can you still apply for a loan to do your masters?

And can you get a maintenance loan for your masters, or just tuition fees paid?

Many thanks!

OP’s posts: |
titchy Sat 14-Dec-19 18:02:37

Yes you can apply for maintenance even if your placement is paid.

Yes you can apply for a Masters loan regardless of how many years of UG loan you've had.

The Masters loan is a fixed amount, £11k for next year I think, and has to cover both fees and any maintenance you might need.

chloxox08 Sat 14-Dec-19 18:06:44

Loans for masters are completely different to undergrad loans. You get a loan for a masters (someone said above, it's like 10 or 11k) you can take that full amount and that covers fees with a little left over for whatever you decide smile

MarchingFrogs Sat 14-Dec-19 19:01:58

with a little left over for whatever you decide

About a cup of coffee every other week, with the fees for the MSc DS1 was looking at...

Chamomileteaplease Sun 15-Dec-19 09:44:34

Oh that's really helpful. Thank you all of you smile.

OP’s posts: |
Needmoresleep Sun 15-Dec-19 11:16:54

Note, integrated Masters are covered by UG student loans. Loans, however are only available for four years of study. So even if it is an integrated Masters, he will have to fund the remaining year, either through wages, or a Masters loan.

Be aware that fees for Masters courses vary. Some are less than £9,000. Others can be £30,000+. Integrated Masters fees will be the same as UG fees.

titchy Sun 15-Dec-19 12:17:07

* Loans, however are only available for four years of study.*

If you're talking about UG loans that's not the case. They are available for the length of the initial course plus one. So if you apply for a five year undergrad you are entitled to six years of UG loans.

No one would be able to do integrated masters with a placement year/year abroad, a degree with foundation year that had a placement element, or anything with a clinical year (medicine, vet med) if they were only available for four years!


Needmoresleep Sun 15-Dec-19 12:44:14

Ah, I though medics in their final years switched from student loans to NHS bursaries. Happy to be corrected.

titchy Sun 15-Dec-19 13:06:50

Medics do because the Dept of Health part funds the cost, but vet med is purely Dept for Ed / fee loan funded. I think dentistry is too.

fiftiesmum Sun 15-Dec-19 17:30:50

Many sandwich year placements are paid employment although treated as students for the purpose of council tax etc. The university charges a smaller fee (less than £1000). A postgraduate masters is higher than an integrated masters as some subjects are just masters then you can do MSc later

chloxox08 Sun 15-Dec-19 21:44:23

@MarchingFrogs defiantly!🤣

Chamomileteaplease Mon 16-Dec-19 11:54:16

OK this is all making more sense now, thank you again smile.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in