Talk

Advanced search

Anyone studied Macbeth?

(84 Posts)
Whatdoyouexpect Fri 29-Nov-19 14:48:08

Can anyone say what points I should be focusing on in this question:

Discuss what we know about Macbeth’s character, particularly with reference to the closing scenes of the play.

Many thanks.

OP’s posts: |
YourOpinionIsNoted Fri 29-Nov-19 14:51:26

Do your own bloody work!

Velveteenfruitbowl Fri 29-Nov-19 14:52:18

It really depends on the level you are studying at.

SarahAndQuack Fri 29-Nov-19 14:53:20

1) This is (I sincerely hope) not for HE.

2) As @YourOpinionIsNoted so eloquently puts it, do your own bloody work!

AutumnRose1 Fri 29-Nov-19 14:55:45

You want me to write your essay for you? HA HA HA HA HA no.

Whatdoyouexpect Fri 29-Nov-19 15:03:40

Thank you, you've been great.

OP’s posts: |
LolaSmiles Fri 29-Nov-19 15:06:10

I agree Sarah. I hope this isn't degree level. My GCSE classes do this question.

Though on a serious note, OP you need to do your own reading and if you're really totally clueless on where to begin then your starting point needs to be GCSE York notes for Macbeth.

YourOpinionIsNoted Fri 29-Nov-19 15:08:14

Actually, that was harsh. Here you go, I've thought of some points you should include:

1. Macbeth's character is revealed as heroic as he singlehandedly battles - and kills - the Loch Ness monster, winning the respect of the Scots.

2. His character's dramatic conquering of the English throne at the end of the play is foreshadowed by the killing of Duncan; just as Macbeth removed the King of Scotland, so he removes the King of England.

3. While to some readers/audience members, Macbeth's passionate sex scene with Macduff is surprising, when we consider that the witches are described by Banquo as having beards, we can see that Shakespeare clearly intended his characters to be both gender fluid and bi-curious.

4. Shakespeare's unusual choice to end the play on a musical number, and his stage directions that dictate Macbeth 'dances a merry jig with the English crown on his head, and the Scottish crown on the head of the loch monster' to close the play, shows that the play should be seen as a comedy, not a tragedy.

fedup21 Fri 29-Nov-19 15:11:05

@ YourOpinionIsNoted I hope you are a teacher-you have explained that so clearly.

NotTonightJosepheen Fri 29-Nov-19 15:14:05

I studied Macbeth and Hamlet at school. I often get bits and pieces of them mixed up...no help, sorry.

iMatter Fri 29-Nov-19 15:16:55

My kids are doing Macbeth for GCSE.

I'll be sure to ask them when they come home from school....

YourOpinionIsNoted Fri 29-Nov-19 15:31:47

@fedup21 I used to be!

LaurieSchafferIsAllBitterNow Fri 29-Nov-19 15:40:44

Isn't Macbeth a cyborg? This play was light years ahead of its time.

YourOpinionIsNoted Fri 29-Nov-19 15:43:10

Open to interpretation, Laurie. Was he a cyborg, or was it the ill effects of his crystal meth addiction?

LolaSmiles Fri 29-Nov-19 15:53:18

I don't think it was meth.

He clearly has issues with his parents. They took him to stately homes, but his sexual desires towards lady Macbeth when she chastises him and demonstrates her gender fluidity highlight the ongoing trauma he feels from having a narc mother.
On one hand he is disgusted by her actions, but on the other he craves her approval and the sexual validation that comes from getting that approval.

chemenger Fri 29-Nov-19 17:58:13

What I would say to my students is “let’s start with what you think, and see how we can build on that”, so...

fluffiphlox Fri 29-Nov-19 18:01:52

Don’t forget the bit with the motorcycle accident.

titchy Fri 29-Nov-19 18:15:30

His rejection of his parentage when he screams 'You're not my mum' is an interesting angle to take OP.

GCAcademic Fri 29-Nov-19 19:17:40

Excellent analysis, YourOpinionIsNoted though you did miss out the crucial significance of the dancing trees when they join in the final musical number, “When Birnam Wood Comes to Dunsinane”.

Obsidian77 Fri 29-Nov-19 19:22:42

Picking up on YourOpinionIsNoted's analysis, I think the coronation scene, where Macbeth is voted King of England is actually quite ambivalent.
He's fulfilled his heart' s desire but you can tell he's already wondering if it's going to make him happy.

cornstarch Fri 29-Nov-19 19:23:35

Out damned spot

UncleMatthewsEntrenchingTool Fri 29-Nov-19 19:26:31

Love the reference to Friends there @LaurieSchafferIsAllBitterNow

chemenger Fri 29-Nov-19 19:39:19

Out damned Spot

How they treat that poor little dog is a key indicator of Macbeth’s character imo.

ElizabethinherGermanGarden Fri 29-Nov-19 19:41:43

Look at the way Shakespeare makes us root for Macbeth in Act 5, despite his evil actions, through his fabulous language; contrast that with the way that we find Malcolm feeble and ambiguous despite the fact that he's the rightful heir and has done nothing wrong, mostly as the result of his confused and unclear language.

ElizabethinherGermanGarden Fri 29-Nov-19 19:43:00

Oh, dammit 🤬

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »