Agency degree verification

(5 Posts)
AutumnRose1 Sun 17-Nov-19 20:38:32

Hi all
I thought this seemed the best place to ask this

I haven’t had to look for a job for ages. I’ve had friends tell me that I won’t be asked for my degree certificate but will likely be asked to sign something/pay for an agency check on my degree. Is this a thing?

I appreciate that anyone can fake a degree certificate but what I’m wondering is this. Do agencies already have the data, or do they source it from the uni? Because if they already have it, I’m thinking, I didn’t agree for the uni to sell my data on, if that makes sense?

Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
ClerkMaxwell Sun 17-Nov-19 22:10:44

My recent experience was that they sourced it from the university who then contacted me to ask my permission to share it with the particular company. Overall the checks were a bit of a farce as they failed to verify lots of things despite a 3 month period between me accepting the job and actually starting. I've been working freelance for 20+ years so this is the first time i have had agency verification.

HundredMilesAnHour Sun 17-Nov-19 22:15:13

Agencies don't already have the data. When you agree to background checks, you are giving your permission for your data to be shared with the agency by your university/former employer etc.

AutumnRose1 Sun 17-Nov-19 22:37:06

Oh thanks
So I guess it’s a more efficient way rather than unis dealing with lots of requests that might be sent to anyone in your department?

OP’s posts: |
SirTobyBelch Mon 18-Nov-19 07:05:40

There are big problems with fake certificates for all school/college/university qualifications. This kind of checking will, I assume, become more common. It's more difficult for FE qualifications as there are so many different organisations issuing them.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in