Talk

Advanced search

Agency degree verification

(5 Posts)
AutumnRose1 Sun 17-Nov-19 20:38:32

Hi all
I thought this seemed the best place to ask this

I haven’t had to look for a job for ages. I’ve had friends tell me that I won’t be asked for my degree certificate but will likely be asked to sign something/pay for an agency check on my degree. Is this a thing?

I appreciate that anyone can fake a degree certificate but what I’m wondering is this. Do agencies already have the data, or do they source it from the uni? Because if they already have it, I’m thinking, I didn’t agree for the uni to sell my data on, if that makes sense?

Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
ClerkMaxwell Sun 17-Nov-19 22:10:44

My recent experience was that they sourced it from the university who then contacted me to ask my permission to share it with the particular company. Overall the checks were a bit of a farce as they failed to verify lots of things despite a 3 month period between me accepting the job and actually starting. I've been working freelance for 20+ years so this is the first time i have had agency verification.

HundredMilesAnHour Sun 17-Nov-19 22:15:13

Agencies don't already have the data. When you agree to background checks, you are giving your permission for your data to be shared with the agency by your university/former employer etc.

AutumnRose1 Sun 17-Nov-19 22:37:06

Oh thanks
So I guess it’s a more efficient way rather than unis dealing with lots of requests that might be sent to anyone in your department?

OP’s posts: |
SirTobyBelch Mon 18-Nov-19 07:05:40

There are big problems with fake certificates for all school/college/university qualifications. This kind of checking will, I assume, become more common. It's more difficult for FE qualifications as there are so many different organisations issuing them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »