Talk

Advanced search

Mature student placement year

(2 Posts)
Metaplasia Sat 02-Nov-19 13:20:55

I'm 29, in my second year at uni and I'm on the fence about doing a placement year. I'd love to work in industry full time for a year but paid placements in commuting distance are very rare, maintenance loans for placements are peanuts and I don't think we can take the hit financially.

I have a part time job I could still fit in but it would mean I get very little time at home with my children. We could possibly make it work with a lot of sacrifices and leaning heavily on family for childcare but is it worth it? We struggle already with only one of us working full time and me on loans and a few shifts here and there when I can.

I got my first job at 14 and have never been unemployed since, so I have a large back catalogue of transferable skills and experience in the working world.

Are placements more geared towards younger students who have no real life experience yet?

OP’s posts: |
HugoSpritz Sat 02-Nov-19 14:58:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »