Talk

Advanced search

Oxbridge 2020 (4)

(1000 Posts)
HugoSpritz Sun 20-Oct-19 12:27:31

Ready and waiting for when we have finished the final few posts.

HugoSpritz Sun 20-Oct-19 12:29:54

Continuation of www.mumsnet.com/Talk/higher_education/3705059-Oxbridge-2020-3-title-amended-at-OPs-request?msgid=90956215#90956215

sandybayley Sun 20-Oct-19 12:49:39

Checking in @HugoSpritz - thanks for the new thread.

HuaShan Sun 20-Oct-19 12:57:25

Checking in, thanks Hugo. One more week of school to crawl through before a few days break. Then the admissions test. Ds is relatively calm still and has done plenty of prep but a few nights ago he got in a pickle with an answer to one question (basically lost his reasoning), and had a bit of a panic. I think it is hitting him how important it is to at least get an interview.

TheAnnoyingSatsuma Sun 20-Oct-19 12:58:48

smile Thanks Hugo

aibutohavethisusername Sun 20-Oct-19 13:45:50

Thank you

sandybayley Sun 20-Oct-19 13:50:06

Feel for you @HuaShan - DS1 has a two week half term so is now on holiday. He does have history coursework to complete but he will definitely be doing some sleeping and eating this week.

DD has GCSE mocks after half term and a sixth form entrance exam coming up so we've got a lot going on.

seedybird Sun 20-Oct-19 13:58:01

Checking in too - thanks Hugo. It's half-term next week for DD and so just the final push this week and then she can have some well-deserved rest.

Sostenueto Sun 20-Oct-19 14:22:59

Thanks for thread Hugoflowers

Hoghgyni Sun 20-Oct-19 14:27:34

A lot of SpLDs are actually formally diagnosed after graduation. One of my former employers actually actively encouraged grad trainees to get a diagnosis for dyslexia & dyscalculia as part of their induction. This ensures that they could be properly supported in a workplace where an inadvertent technical error could be extremely costly. A late diagnosis certainly didn't seem to harm their recruitment prospects as we looked beyond their exam history and which uni they had attended.

Ironoaks Sun 20-Oct-19 16:12:26

Thank you HugoSpritz for the new thread.

KingscoteStaff Sun 20-Oct-19 16:16:04

Good job on new thread.
DS has had one week of half term, now heading into second.
DD slowly building up to GCSE mocks after Christmas.

sandy is your DD going to follow her bro or head elsewhere?

PantTwizzler Sun 20-Oct-19 16:31:19

Greetings to all. Half term just started here. DS has plenty of test prep to do, not to mention the wretched SAQ. Turns out he’s in classes of 24 as well! I never knew!

aibutohavethisusername Sun 20-Oct-19 16:38:21

DD doesn’t have half time until next week. She has the HAT that week and the Oxford interview prep. As well as a party!

Pepermintea Sun 20-Oct-19 16:59:31

We also have one more week of school until half term. DS is doing a MAT paper right now, but seems fairly calm about it so far! Hopefully that will last!

TheAnnoyingSatsuma Sun 20-Oct-19 17:02:06

SAQ has been submitted.
First draft of EPQ has been sent to his supervisor.
Weekend partying will be done and dusted this evening, clearing half-term week for admissions test prep.

Bristol advised today that his application is ‘on hold’, which apparently means he meets their criteria but they won’t make offers until most applications have been received.

sandybayley Sun 20-Oct-19 17:49:14

@KingscoteStaff - DD is trying for DS1's school as she's a bit fed up of single sex and it's excellent for STEM (maths is her real strength). But she's not trying for anywhere else. Her current school have been very good to her and she has a nice scholarship (which is an incentive to stay).

PantTwizzler Sun 20-Oct-19 18:12:11

Here DD2 is applying to five places for sixth form, all very different from each other but all very competitive. It's like a mini-UCAS. (I'm a bit unimpressed with DD1 and DS's school although it's very pleased with itself.) She is home educated so her experience doesn't fit the forms very well. It would be so much easier if we were normal...

goodbyestranger Sun 20-Oct-19 18:22:15

Hugo if your DS has all A* or equivalent - so I'm guessing about eight or nine - and only two A then he's absolutely fine for Oxford History in any event. It won't matter a bit that the school didn't explain about no extra time for GCSE. But I think it would matter if there was a more mixed bag of results including 6s for example, or if the A*: A tally was reversed. As it is, he'll be fine.

goodbyestranger Sun 20-Oct-19 18:27:39

I’m not sure about Oxbridge being irrelevant for career prospects in medicine. DH would disagree. I guess it might depend on your speciality.

This is a dangerous view to express on MN PantTwizzler........ even if expressed by a medic of some seniority. Lets hope that the posse of posters who are vehemently opposed to this view don't spot that post!

goodbyestranger Sun 20-Oct-19 18:33:10

How on earth does a parent with five DC (not sure if you have five or more PantTwizzler - irrelevant for the purposes of this post) also manage to home educate? If my DC hadn't pushed off early each morning to go to school I'd have child reared even less well than I actually did. The thought of it!

HugoSpritz Sun 20-Oct-19 18:35:09

Thanks GS - yes he fits the profile you state 9/2 ratio.

goodbyestranger Sun 20-Oct-19 18:36:28

As it is, he'll be fine.

That sounds rather faint on re-reading. He's done exceptionally if he managed those grades with an undiagnosed SpLD and no extra time.The four early offers are richly deserved!

goodbyestranger Sun 20-Oct-19 18:37:11

Cross post Hugo.

HugoSpritz Sun 20-Oct-19 18:42:43

He is definitely enjoying having ET for his A levels! He says he will probably feel the benefit of it more not having had it for gcses than those who did have it.

This thread is not accepting new messages.