Talk

Advanced search

Portfolios for Graphic Design - advice please?

(2 Posts)
MotherofOne Fri 18-Oct-19 17:23:48

DS wants to study Graphic Design/ Graphic Communication at uni - is looking at places like Leeds, Loughborough, Reading, Bournemouth Arts etc

Some of them ask for an online portfolio to be uploaded and others ask for them to take their portfolio to interview.

If your DCs did this - what did they take? Was it school Art/Design coursework or stuff they did outside of school?
How did they display/present it?

I don't get the impression DS's (small) 6th form have much experience of this.

OP’s posts: |
BubblesBuddy Fri 18-Oct-19 18:24:10

My DD had to take a portfolio for her arts based course.

We started by checking with each university about what they required because they were all slightly different. We were also able to speak with a student advisor at one university. So check if this service is available.

DD went beyond what she studied at school. However what they liked was projects where the applicant has thought about possible designs, what works and didn’t work and an evaluation of this. What is the inspiration for what they have designed and how was the design carried out or how could it be carried out. DD took everything in an arts folder so it could be spread out. Other unis wanted it sent to them. Some wanted some of it sent to them!

My best advice is to make sure DC can carry it. Make sure the university staff can see it and understand it. Make sure it’s clearly written and illustrated and skills are shown to best advantage. DC needs to be able to talk about it.

I’m sure others will know more about Graphic Design. But this approach worked for DD. They also advised doing a blog of ideas and inspiration.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »