Talk

Advanced search

Campus universities with beautiful old buildings

(278 Posts)
Trewser Wed 25-Sep-19 12:13:57

I know, i know. But dd2 is reluctant to go to any open days, and this is her (childish and silly i know) requirement. I thought if we could at least do ONE she will start to be more open minded!

OP’s posts: |
soulrider Wed 25-Sep-19 12:20:22

Nottingham has a mix of old and new. The Trent Building I think is from the 20s. It's certainly a different feel to the concrete campus of UEA or York for example

JackNamesThePlanets Wed 25-Sep-19 12:26:55

University Of Birmingham main campus in Edgbaston has some beautiful buildings, stunning campus, although the new library is very modern

MaidofKent78 Wed 25-Sep-19 12:28:20

York's campus has some beautiful old buildings alongside the concrete.

So does York St John.

Trewser Wed 25-Sep-19 12:28:21

Ah, Birmingham was one she had managed to say "mmm" when it was suggested! I think that was approval. We'll try there.

LadyLuna16 Wed 25-Sep-19 12:28:45

Leeds campus is lovely.

DianaBlythe Wed 25-Sep-19 12:29:31

Durham has a collegiate system and so I would have thought should feel small if she is concerned about being lost and anonymous in a city university.

Cardiff
Aberdeen

Lincoln is campus based and collegiate I think. The university buildings are mostly new but the city has old beautiful buildings. Or must the university be old and beautiful?

drspouse Wed 25-Sep-19 12:30:19

When you say campus, does it have to be out of town? Lots of the older universities are city based.

Grambler Wed 25-Sep-19 12:30:58

Reading is lovely, especially in Autumn walking around the lake.

soulrider Wed 25-Sep-19 12:31:47

A word of warning though, 17 year old me chose to go to Nottingham pretty much entirely because the campus was lovely on a gorgeous summer day. In retrospect I should have used other factors for my decision making process grin

Herocomplex Wed 25-Sep-19 12:32:20

You don’t have to go to open days. It’s a shame if you don’t but there are people who can’t or won’t.

If that’s her criteria is she looking into it?

BikeRunSki Wed 25-Sep-19 12:33:03

Newcastle has old and new. Mostly new to be honest, but a lovely red brick Victorian quad with arches through to the SU building.

Leeds old/new too. Most universities that are not very, very old or very, very new will be. Even the really old ones, have new buildings too.

Is your DD reluctant to go to university, or just open days?

Trewser Wed 25-Sep-19 12:33:08

She's too scared by the idea of Leeds. Durham perhaps but not sure she'd quite get the grades, but I'm assuming Durham is triple A star might be wrong.

Herocomplex Wed 25-Sep-19 12:33:39

Durham, in Castle would definitely meet her needs!

BikeRunSki Wed 25-Sep-19 12:34:34

@soulrider - I had an interview in Newcastle in the morning (sunny) and Durham in the afternoon (rainy) of the same day. Went to Newcastle, loved it.

titchy Wed 25-Sep-19 12:35:14

Royal Holloway and Glasgow are both quite Hogwarts-ish.

Trewser Wed 25-Sep-19 12:35:24

She wants to go but she's a very anxious person who loves home. But she's still got ages (yr 12). She's bright, 7s 8s 9s at GCSE so RG unis probably achievable

OrangeWoman Wed 25-Sep-19 12:35:35

Royal Holloway has a lovely old building. It’s part of the university of London but just outside London.

MrsPellegrinoPetrichor Wed 25-Sep-19 12:35:49

She needs to be looking at the courses and I wouldn't indulge her wanting to go and visit just based on buildings. If she refuses then I would take it as as a sign she isn't ready for uni yet.

unicorncupcake Wed 25-Sep-19 12:35:54

Royal Holloway! 45 minutes from London, a lovely campus uni with loads of lovely new buildings. The main building is stunning, based on a French Chateau and you can live in it in your first year in Halls. Amazing place.

Teddybear45 Wed 25-Sep-19 12:35:58

Bath
Leicester University
Manchester University
Edinburgh University
Greenwich University - in my opinion the prettiest of the lot.

soulrider Wed 25-Sep-19 12:36:06

Before the open days my first choice was York but I had a stinking cold when I visited on a damp dreary day so that was crossed off the list!

Trewser Wed 25-Sep-19 12:36:08

She wants to do English, perhaps English and Classical Civ

Trewser Wed 25-Sep-19 12:36:49

She's seen Bath, definitely not Hogwarts enough!!

littlepeaegg Wed 25-Sep-19 12:37:04

Winchester

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »