Talk

Advanced search

Worried about losing the joy of reading!

(5 Posts)
IceColdLemonade Wed 28-Aug-19 15:49:52

If I learn how to analyse literature at degree-level, will it forever change how I read fiction? More to the point, could it actually spoil it?
I realise that in the grand scheme of things this is hardly a 'problem' but I am genuinely concerned that I will never again be able to sink into a book and enjoy it without my analytical skills and knowledge coming into play.
You can't 'unknow' things and though I would like to think I could turn off the analytical processing, I'm not sure whether that is possible or not.
I love reading from my current ignorant stance. I have been an avid reader since I was a very small child. In many ways, it has saved me, always giving me joy and providing escapism and entertainment. I truly fear that this may be lost if I become a towering intellectual; joke!

Is there anyone who can relate and advise?

OP’s posts: |
IceColdLemonade Wed 28-Aug-19 15:51:36

sorry provided escapism

OP’s posts: |
DtPeabodysLoosePants Wed 28-Aug-19 17:51:20

I have a degree and two post graduate diplomas and if anything my love for reading has intensified over my lifetime. I promise myself an early night most nights and end up lost in a book or down an internet rabbit hole about history. Feminism however, has made me pull faces at romantic novels more than I used to grin
Books and reading are for life. There's no such thing as too many books. I like books!

museumum Wed 28-Aug-19 17:52:34

All my friends with English degrees still read for pleasure.

corythatwas Thu 29-Aug-19 10:07:27

I enjoy more types of literature and find the escapism works just as well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »