Worried about losing the joy of reading!

(5 Posts)
IceColdLemonade Wed 28-Aug-19 15:49:52

If I learn how to analyse literature at degree-level, will it forever change how I read fiction? More to the point, could it actually spoil it?
I realise that in the grand scheme of things this is hardly a 'problem' but I am genuinely concerned that I will never again be able to sink into a book and enjoy it without my analytical skills and knowledge coming into play.
You can't 'unknow' things and though I would like to think I could turn off the analytical processing, I'm not sure whether that is possible or not.
I love reading from my current ignorant stance. I have been an avid reader since I was a very small child. In many ways, it has saved me, always giving me joy and providing escapism and entertainment. I truly fear that this may be lost if I become a towering intellectual; joke!

Is there anyone who can relate and advise?

OP’s posts: |
IceColdLemonade Wed 28-Aug-19 15:51:36

sorry provided escapism

OP’s posts: |
DtPeabodysLoosePants Wed 28-Aug-19 17:51:20

I have a degree and two post graduate diplomas and if anything my love for reading has intensified over my lifetime. I promise myself an early night most nights and end up lost in a book or down an internet rabbit hole about history. Feminism however, has made me pull faces at romantic novels more than I used to grin
Books and reading are for life. There's no such thing as too many books. I like books!

museumum Wed 28-Aug-19 17:52:34

All my friends with English degrees still read for pleasure.

corythatwas Thu 29-Aug-19 10:07:27

I enjoy more types of literature and find the escapism works just as well.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in