Talk

Advanced search

What are DFE points for?

(4 Posts)
munemema Thu 15-Aug-19 11:48:19

It turns out DS got the UCAS points he needed but not quite in the format he expected. Ie one was higher, one was lower than he hoped so initially, he wasn't sure how it translated to points.

The results letter he collected at school has the grades and "points" which were significantly lower than he hoped for. So his initial reaction was one of disappointment.

It was only when we got home and read the accompanying information that we realised he did in fact have exactly the right number of UCAS points and the points the letter referred to were DFE points.

I feel a bit sad that he missed that moment of celebration with his friends. Is it usual for schools not to put UCAS points on the reports letters for but these lower points scores instead? What are DFE points?

Everyone's thrilled now though smile

OP’s posts: |
RedHelenB Thu 15-Aug-19 12:49:49

I think points will be the marks for the paper not UCAS points that are based on the grades. Glad hes got what he needed though.

SirTobyBelch Thu 15-Aug-19 13:24:36

DfE points are used in school performance measures and league tables. I think the school has probably copied & pasted from its own internal charts.

munemema Thu 15-Aug-19 16:05:58

It's not his marks Red, they are also listed. It's as SirToby says, the points that will count for the school's own performance.

UCAS points are not on there at all, but there is an accompanying sheet telling him how they convert.

Phew

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »