Talk

Advanced search

CUCAS & UCAS

(13 Posts)
Comefromaway Wed 31-Jul-19 14:58:49

Am I correct in thinking that part from needing a second mortguage for all the fees that if you apply to CUCAS & UCAS you get more choices (eg your CUCAS choices are not deducted from the 5 options you get with UCAS. Plus the couple of colleges that have direct application as well.

So if/when your child gets offers can you hold a firm and reserve with both?

OP’s posts: |
Comefromaway Wed 31-Jul-19 14:59:51

Sorry, that should read CUKAS & UCAS.

MillicentMartha Wed 31-Jul-19 15:37:29

My friend’s DD has done just that, comefromaway. She has an offer from Royal Birmingham Conservatoire and is still going through UCAS, ‘just in case.’ She is a bit torn, as she’s a high achiever academically as well as being a talented singer so she’s not making a decision until A level results day.

Comefromaway Wed 31-Jul-19 15:48:06

Thanks - I thought so but wasn't sure.

MillicentMartha Wed 31-Jul-19 22:11:23

There is a restriction that you can’t hold unconditional offers, though. If you accept or firm an unconditional offer you have to relinquish the conditional offers from both systems. I guess conservatoires might offer unconditionals if they are dependant on auditions rather than exams results?

MillicentMartha Wed 31-Jul-19 22:20:03

www.ucas.com/conservatoires/how-apply-through-ucas-conservatoires/ucas-conservatoires-when-apply

There’s a tab part way down, ‘Are you applying through any other UCAS services?’ which explains this.

Comefromaway Wed 31-Jul-19 22:55:59

From what I gather conservatoire often give very low offers rather than unconditionals. So EE or PPP (Btec)

MillicentMartha Wed 31-Jul-19 23:12:19

That’s ideal then. Easy to hold offers right up until results day. smile

Comefromaway Thu 01-Aug-19 00:03:54

It is also INCREDIBLY difficult to get in!

MillicentMartha Thu 01-Aug-19 00:04:46

Yeah, not that sort of easy!

Comefromaway Thu 01-Aug-19 00:08:07

My husband went to the Abbatoir (nickname) many moons ago (it wasn’t Royal back then and now there is a shiny new building.)

MillicentMartha Thu 01-Aug-19 00:12:32

I wonder if the shiny newness will swing it? I might not mention the Abbatoir nickname to them. 😂

Brain06626 Thu 01-Aug-19 03:10:53

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »