CUCAS & UCAS

(13 Posts)
Comefromaway Wed 31-Jul-19 14:58:49

Am I correct in thinking that part from needing a second mortguage for all the fees that if you apply to CUCAS & UCAS you get more choices (eg your CUCAS choices are not deducted from the 5 options you get with UCAS. Plus the couple of colleges that have direct application as well.

So if/when your child gets offers can you hold a firm and reserve with both?

OP’s posts: |
Comefromaway Wed 31-Jul-19 14:59:51

Sorry, that should read CUKAS & UCAS.

MillicentMartha Wed 31-Jul-19 15:37:29

My friend’s DD has done just that, comefromaway. She has an offer from Royal Birmingham Conservatoire and is still going through UCAS, ‘just in case.’ She is a bit torn, as she’s a high achiever academically as well as being a talented singer so she’s not making a decision until A level results day.

Comefromaway Wed 31-Jul-19 15:48:06

Thanks - I thought so but wasn't sure.

MillicentMartha Wed 31-Jul-19 22:11:23

There is a restriction that you can’t hold unconditional offers, though. If you accept or firm an unconditional offer you have to relinquish the conditional offers from both systems. I guess conservatoires might offer unconditionals if they are dependant on auditions rather than exams results?

MillicentMartha Wed 31-Jul-19 22:20:03

www.ucas.com/conservatoires/how-apply-through-ucas-conservatoires/ucas-conservatoires-when-apply

There’s a tab part way down, ‘Are you applying through any other UCAS services?’ which explains this.

Comefromaway Wed 31-Jul-19 22:55:59

From what I gather conservatoire often give very low offers rather than unconditionals. So EE or PPP (Btec)

Advertisement

MillicentMartha Wed 31-Jul-19 23:12:19

That’s ideal then. Easy to hold offers right up until results day. smile

Comefromaway Thu 01-Aug-19 00:03:54

It is also INCREDIBLY difficult to get in!

MillicentMartha Thu 01-Aug-19 00:04:46

Yeah, not that sort of easy!

Comefromaway Thu 01-Aug-19 00:08:07

My husband went to the Abbatoir (nickname) many moons ago (it wasn’t Royal back then and now there is a shiny new building.)

MillicentMartha Thu 01-Aug-19 00:12:32

I wonder if the shiny newness will swing it? I might not mention the Abbatoir nickname to them. 😂

Brain06626 Thu 01-Aug-19 03:10:53

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in