university, living at home and benfits

(3 Posts)
Motherchubbard Sat 27-Jul-19 10:58:24

My son has done a year at uni, he hated the course and has now signed up to a different course to start this September, he was living in uni accommodation and since leaving has done some traveling, however he has told me he might come home and travel to uni as he didn't really enjoy the last year away, I have 3 other children at home, 1 at school and 2 at college, my partner works but we are still entitled to some housing/council tax benefit due to low wage, i also receive working and child tax credits and child benefit does anyone know what implications there are if my son moves home and just travels to uni, he has applied for student finance and student maintenance, will they class his maintenance as our household income? I'd let him move home regardless even if it left us with nothing but it is causing a worry as we are struggling as it is and I'm trying to prepare myself for when he makes a decision.

OP’s posts: |
MyDcAreMarvel Sat 27-Jul-19 11:00:02

No his maintenance won’t be classed as household income.

namechangedforourprivacy Sat 03-Aug-19 11:22:54

His loan shouldn't be classified as household income and he should be exempt from council tax. (will need uni certificate/letter for this)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in