Talk

Advanced search

Advice on dropping Biology A level

(6 Posts)
Swarskid2184 Tue 16-Jul-19 14:34:10

My DD is coming to the end of year 12. She has been doing four A levels - Maths, further maths, history and biology. She was also doing chemistry until December. Doing so many simply because she had no idea what degree she wanted to do.

She is now settled on maths and music as a degree (grade 7 in 3 instruments), but as she is not doing music A level she needs to do grade 8 music theory this coming academic year. She is also doing at least one grade 8 practical exam.

Her grade predictions are currently AABC, with the A’s in maths, B in history and the C in biology. School are advising to drop biology and focus on other three (predictions will then rise to AAA). But I am concerned that further maths does not have the same weight as other A levels- but not sure where I have got that thought from!

Any advice or similar experiences?
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
ErrolTheDragon Tue 16-Jul-19 14:58:41

* But I am concerned that further maths does not have the same weight as other A levels- but not sure where I have got that thought from!*

There are some courses for which fm is considered suitable as a 4th subject, but afaik this doesn't usually apply to those with a very strong maths component.
For example, my DD is studying engineering, she dropped her 4th (comp sci) leaving maths, fm and chemistry, which with high predicted grades got her offers on all the high ranked courses she applied for. I would think for maths maximising the grades on the maths and fm is probably a lot more useful than doing a fourth unrelated subject.

Decorhate Tue 16-Jul-19 15:00:47

Regarding FM, it seems to depend on the course so probably worth checking with a couple of the unis you think she may apply to. For example, it is very common to be the third A Level for pupils applying to engineering courses. But many medical schools won’t accept it (unless it’s done in addition to 3 other subjects).

ErrolTheDragon Tue 16-Jul-19 15:03:22

Sorry, hit post too early. If FM is not acceptable as the 3rd subject then this should be clearly stated in the course requirements, which are easy to find on the uni websites.

If your DD is in any doubt I suggest she emails a few admissions tutors on the courses she's interested in. I'd lay odds they will be happy with maths, fm, history and the music qualifications, but there's no substitute for hearing it from the horse's mouth.

Swarskid2184 Tue 16-Jul-19 16:38:54

Thanks for replies. Going to be a busy year!

OP’s posts: |
MarchingFrogs Tue 16-Jul-19 19:42:27

www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/jointhonours/mathematics-and-music.aspx#EntryRequirementsTab

Birmingham, for one, appears not to mind Maths and Further Maths; she could register and try out the offer calculator?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in