Talk

Advanced search

Want a career in Accountancy..where do I start....hopefully not the NVQ route....

(6 Posts)
crispyduck Sat 28-Jul-07 09:58:02

TIA x

cornflakegirl Sat 28-Jul-07 14:43:45

What qualifications do you have currently? And what flavour accountant do you want to be?

The three biggest accountancy bodies in the UK are CIMA (management accountancy - if you intend to work in industry), ACCA (more focus on tax / audit stuff than CIMA, but still acceptable in industry) and ACA (more relevant if your going to work in practice).

I'm a management accountant. I did a non-accountancy degree, and then studied for my CIMA exams for three years while working in industry.

If you have decent A levels or a degree, I would recommend getting a job and then joining which ever institute your employer recommends and will support you (financially and with time) to study with. To be honest, I don't use much of the stuff I learned on a day-to-day basis - it's more about an awareness of the issues.

If you don't have A levels, I'd recommend that you start with AAT (accounting technician) - again while working - and then move on to the higher level qualification.

One thing about studying - I'd recommend choosing one of the big providers, like Kaplan, rather than your local college. They'll be more expensive, but hopefully your employer will be paying - and in general they have much better tutors and much better pass rates.

Probably waffled enough now - but shout if you want to know more.

crispyduck Mon 30-Jul-07 11:49:48

Thanks cornflakegirl....tbh I would have to start at the bottom iyswim but I dont want to go the NVQ route...I have 5 GSCE and no A levels...

cornflakegirl Mon 30-Jul-07 12:22:58

I don't blame you for now wanting to take the NVQ route - it is time consuming.

I just checked the CIMA website - and they offer the CIMA certificate in Business Accounting. You don't need any qualifications to take it, and passing it means you can start on the CIMA exams proper.

crispyduck Mon 06-Aug-07 09:32:08

Thanks...looks interesting

Lucewheel Thu 09-Aug-07 14:12:13

Sorry for the hijack.

Cornflakegirl, what is the difference between the AAT qualification and the ACCA? Which one would you recommend? Thanks

Goodluck with this crispyduck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now