Talk

Advanced search

Durham open day - travel by train

(7 Posts)
AChickenCalledKorma Wed 03-Jul-19 07:08:31

Was anyone at the Durham open day on Monday?

We're going on Saturday and booked on a specific train home. Just wondering how busy the station gets at the end of the day when everyone goes home. Will we need to allow extra time to get through crowds, or is it reasonably well managed?

Or timing is tight to see everything we want to, so I don't want to allow too much extra time but also don't want to miss the train!

OP’s posts: |
chochaholic79 Wed 03-Jul-19 07:14:56

The station is only small in Durham, 2 platforms, so as long as you don't have to queue for tickets, then you should be okay.

LonelyPiggy Wed 03-Jul-19 07:22:29

We did it on Monday and it was fine - busy but no huge crowds.

Aquiver Wed 03-Jul-19 10:28:27

Station is very small and is quite a walk up the hill! So make sure you leave enough time to get to the station (including by taxi, due to demand) and to collect tickets etc.

Would also recommend reserving a seat on the train!

AChickenCalledKorma Wed 03-Jul-19 12:57:26

Thanks everyone. We have reserved seats, so I'm feeling a bit more under control now. Was a bit scared by the enormous queues to leave another campus last weekend!

OP’s posts: |
checkoutno3please Wed 03-Jul-19 23:18:34

There were shuttle buses running on Monday to the station but I think they will stop at 4.30pm

We got a taxi from the hotel and it was a fiver. Could've be arsed to walk up the hill after walking all day grin

checkoutno3please Wed 03-Jul-19 23:19:43

*couldn't

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »