Talk

Advanced search

Applying for Uni 2019 Part 7: IB and A Levels are but a memory, we're relaxing and let's not even think about the 15 August yet!

(971 Posts)
NewModelArmyMayhem18 Wed 26-Jun-19 19:51:55

Carrying on from the previous thread which filled up very quickly.

gin, wine and cake for everyone wink

Ontopofthesunset Thu 27-Jun-19 15:07:04

DS2 is another summer born boy - 31st August - and lots of his friends are still not 18 either. To be honest, they seem to have found ways around it - enough of his friends now are 18 to be able to get the drinks.

Shimy Thu 27-Jun-19 15:10:25

Didn’t know there was a new thread smile, I just posted on the old one. Hello folks! DS here will also be 18yrs in August. He has no plans, no fuss, doesn’t want a party, doesn’t drink just nothing really hmm.

NewModelArmyMayhem18 Thu 27-Jun-19 15:15:16

Shimy DS was just like that. Not even interested in having the odd drink. Minimum fuss is his mantra in life really.

AWanderingMinstrel Thu 27-Jun-19 15:25:18

vancleefarpels yes you can check on university accommodation if there are any restrictions for electrical goods but think it mostly applies to equipment in their rooms (only exceptions are I think for fridges for medication like diabetics)- most of my friends with kids at uni have these items but I suppose it depends where they are.

ifonly4 Thu 27-Jun-19 15:30:51

Regarding items to take, I agree a mattress topper. Also, some large laundary bags, great for throwing sundries, quilts, towels in, need limited storage and brilliant for storing dirty washing in!

RedHelenB Thu 27-Jun-19 15:47:07

Even Stevens at her secondary too. Wonder if some areas of the country were more boy heavy?

Mustbetimeforachange Thu 27-Jun-19 15:59:00

Signing in DS also summer born but doesn't drink. He's barely been out or emerged from his pit since the exams finished, in spite of me telling him he needs to find a job. Harder when you aren't 18, of course.

Witchend Thu 27-Jun-19 16:49:48

Interesting about the boy/girl ratio.
When dd was born she was the only girl born over the three days I was in hospital. When she went to infants it was almost 2:1 boys to girls.

Itscoldouthere Thu 27-Jun-19 16:52:01

Thank you for all the kind messages yesterday, feeling fine today, the sunshine really helps.
Both my DS are summer born but very different DS1 was sneaky drinking at 14, although he doesn’t drink that often now (might all change once he gets to uni) DS1 was 19 last week, he’s never touched alcohol and currently doesn’t plan too, but who knows if he will feel that way forever.
I’m quite looking forward to getting all their stuff together and I’m liking all the lists people are posting, very helpful.

Piggywaspushed Thu 27-Jun-19 17:21:37

I can't remember the exact stats but it was a nationwide thing and scientist puzzled whether it was also somehow bizarrely related to the drop in birth rate. I think it was more like 52%/48%. Certainly, there was a higher number of boys in my school, which has year groups of 450, and at DS's school. People always fret about boy heavy year groups and - sadly - my school did see a dip in results and the year group have always had a reputation for being difficult (although current year 9 could give them a run for their money!!) as was DS's year group which had huge numbers of exclusions.

sluj Thu 27-Jun-19 18:11:29

When DS1 went off to uni we found those big IKEA bags very useful, surprisingly available on Amazon.

Decorhate Thu 27-Jun-19 18:14:10

My ds is also a summer born! There was an event at a local nightclub this week for post- A Level students but of course he could not go.

TapasForTwo Thu 27-Jun-19 18:17:21

Is it me or do mumsnet members seem to have a disproportionate number of DC who don't drink? DD can't drink too much as it doesn't mix with her meds, but she does enjoy a drink or two, and her friends all enjoy a drink or two.

NewModelArmyMayhem18 Thu 27-Jun-19 19:39:20

DS's cousin (same age - another summer baby!) likes a drink but DS is vehemently anti it at the moment. He doesn't like going to parties because most people get drunk. Maybe it's the boys?

RedHelenB Thu 27-Jun-19 19:58:36

My dds do.

blametheparents Thu 27-Jun-19 21:26:31

DS is summer born, but definitely likes to party! He’s been borrowing ID to go out for post-exam celebrations. Oops!

Laniakea Thu 27-Jun-19 21:51:13

Oh mine drinks! She’s been out a lot since since exams finished (locally, London & Oxford) - prom tomorrow so pre & post parties to go to. On Saturday she’s off to stay with her cousin for the weekend but she’s starting work on Wednesday which will put a dampener on her social life for a while. She’s got a few things planned for August/early September but once her friends start leaving for university it will all settled down and she can concentrate on earning/saving money!

50% of her salary will go directly into a non instant access account for university. She needs to save 6k over her gap year (so less parting!).

minesawine Thu 27-Jun-19 23:51:03

My DS likes a drink, usually beer or cider but sometimes rum, and I enjoy a drink with him. Never seen him drunk yet.

ifonly4 Fri 28-Jun-19 14:45:10

My DD has her Leavers Ball next week, parents are invited and I'm really looking forward to it. DD mentioned something in passing that she might be a bit drunk afterwardshmm.

Shimy Fri 28-Jun-19 15:47:47

DS’s ball is tomorrow nightsmile, so we’ll see what happens.

TapasForTwo Fri 28-Jun-19 16:39:30

What kind of schools invite parents to the leavers prom/ball? Private schools?

DD's year 13 prom was organised by the year 13s and parents were definitely NOT invited.

It coincided with England playing, and winning, a world cup match. It was drunken mayhem, and the after party even more so.

Shimy Fri 28-Jun-19 18:20:29

Tapas It might just be indies I’m not sure. It is a grand affair indeed, we (parents & their offspring) are treated to a few drinks first, then we are SEPARATED into a different marquees. The leavers are treated to a sit down meal & disco. Us parents are serenaded with auctions & the like (and any other activity that ensures we are thoroughly squeezed out of any remaining coins still in our pockets), with lots of champagne. We will (I’m sure) be encouraged to donate to school through whatever means in return for some discounted exclusive event or purchase.

Afterwards we’ll all be churned out for the night.

TapasForTwo Fri 28-Jun-19 18:41:00

I think you are right Shimy I can't see our local comprehensive or 6th form college doing this. In fact I don't think the 6th form college even have a prom as there are far too many students.

NewModelArmyMayhem18 Fri 28-Jun-19 19:27:19

Shimy it sounds fun despite essentially being a money fleecing event for parents. At least you get the chance to dress up! Enjoy!

Shimy Fri 28-Jun-19 20:00:32

Yes that’s true New I’m parading 2 frocks for DS to choose from.. I’m also looking forward to seeing DS and all his friends in their smart suits and bow ties and will make sure I snap loads of pics because DS hasn’t taken a single one in his 5yrs there.

I hope everyone enjoys their leaving dos and makes some nice memories. Get the cameras ready!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »