Talk

Advanced search

Maintenance loans (again) - how much per term?

(5 Posts)
theyellowjumper Mon 10-Jun-19 13:03:06

Does anyone know if the termly maintenance loan is simply a third of the total for the year, or is it calculated in a more complicated way than that?

OP’s posts: |
CitadelsofScience Mon 10-Jun-19 13:19:43

My daughters was split unequally I believe. She didn't have enough from the loan to pay halls first instalment so had to use some of her savings to top it up.

Hortz Mon 10-Jun-19 13:36:32

I've had two go through uni. The loans are always split unevenly but with no obvious pattern or explanation.
This is a shame because by far the most expensive term is the first one and the third is the cheapest mainly because it's very short - if their last exam is in May they have effectively finished even if term officially goes to July.
Also beware the third year loan is smaller.

theyellowjumper Mon 10-Jun-19 13:40:34

Thanks Citadel and Hortz. I just read on a post on Thestudentroom that the split is 33% for each of the first two terms, 34% for the summer term. Does that sound right? I can't find anything on this on the official student loan websites.

OP’s posts: |
BackforGood Mon 10-Jun-19 18:18:15

Accommodation tends to be less in the Summer Term.
From memory, I think the loans are in proportion to the accommodation costs.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »