Talk

Advanced search

Open University - doing a Bsc after a BA

(4 Posts)
greencoffeecup Tue 04-Jun-19 16:07:13

I'm thinking about doing a Bsc at the OU - I already have a BA in an unrelated subject. I'd like to do a psychology degree and I've looked at conversion masters but I'm worried that I'll struggle without a science background (no sciences at A level either - degree is in English) so I'm now looking at the Psychology OU degree which has GBS - but part time it would take me 5 years! I'm wondering if I'll be able to fit in two 60 credit modules in my first year to give me a good start.
Anyone got any experience - is this realistic? I'm not sure how many hours per week it will really take me - particularly around the time of assessments?

OP’s posts: |
FatCreep Wed 05-Jun-19 22:03:24

Lots of universities offer part-time (2 years) masters' degrees in psychology to graduates without science qualifications www.postgraduatesearch.com/pgs/search?course=psychology&qualification=masters&study_mode=part-time. I can't really see why any science qualification other than maths would be important, although you'd probably need to do something to brush up your maths if you haven't used it since GCSE.

If you do a second bachelor's degree you won't be eligible for any financial support, so you'll be paying the tuition fees out of your own pocket. You can get loans to do a master's.

I'm now looking at the Psychology OU degree which has GBS

Guillan-Barré syndrome? Group B streptococcus? Geostationary balloon satellite? Geneva Business School?

lastminutetutor Wed 05-Jun-19 22:19:33

GBC - graduate basis chartered membership.

I would not let the lack of a science background deter you, good essay and report writing skills are important too. You might want to refresh your memory on maths, especially statistics and maybe biology- mainly genetics and neurons. I would suggest that part time you would want at least 15-16 hours, but not necessarily evenly spread across the module. Full time would be more like 30 hours. The benefit of distance learning is that you cut out commuting time, but it can be lonely. Level one books are often available second hand on eBay if you want to know the material. Cheaper than level 1 fees. It might though take a little while to get back into essay writing, referencing etc. Two level 2 modules is quite intensive, two level 3 even more so. You would need to see it as a full time study commitment. With one module a year you would have a more relaxed pace. Are you able to get funding?

titchy Thu 06-Jun-19 07:53:32

Part time science degrees are eligible for fee loan even if student already has a degree.

OP i suspect you'd be fine, but maybe start with an introductory module, or even an MOOC, to increase confidence.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »