Talk

Advanced search

Twins due in Aug - open university module in October?

(8 Posts)
Cosmogirl86 Mon 25-Mar-19 22:20:33

Apologies if this is wrong place to post, but it seems more appropriate than the pregnancy chats.

So I have been working towards an under grad degree from open University and I'm almost finished. I was planning on completing this academic year and next, and then I graduate!

Except... I fell pregnant with twins. Which is wonderful and exciting. But now I'm not sure what to do! I'll definitely complete this year - my final exam is June and babies will be here in August.

Next year, lm not sure. Has any one any experience with studying level 3 module at OU with newborns? Am I mad for even thinking it's possible? Should I power through next year and graduate, or take a year out to enjoy my maternity leave and newborns.

OP’s posts: |
Singleandproud Mon 25-Mar-19 22:25:59

The sleep deprivation alone will mean you struggle to function let alone trying to finish a degree.

Take the year out, enjoy your babies and use spare time to sleep and relax the first year is challenging with one baby and you are having two.

Taking the year out won't have any major knock on effects to your life but failing or not getting the grade you deserve because you cant put the hours in will be expensive and you will regret it.

JuniperNarni Mon 25-Mar-19 22:29:58

Take a year out and enjoy the babies. You're going to be so incredibly tired that you probably wont be able to achieve as well as usual so soon after they are born.

I did my access course when I was a single parent to my autistic son, he went through a serious regression when my final module was due, I'm talking about 2-3 hours sleep a night. I did it, but it was nowhere near up to my usual standard. Don't pressure yourself in your final year, you'll do much better for it.

scrunchSE18 Mon 25-Mar-19 22:44:28

I went back to studying when my Ds was 6 weeks. PT degree in the evening went from 4 yrs to 5 as I split yr 3. I made a couple of hours a week for myself, expressed and trusted my husband with child care for his own son (!) whilst I went to lectures. I read whilst I fed and wrote when I could. For me it helped as a link back to grown up me as I didn’t cope well with being ‘just’ mummy.

Hollowvictory Tue 26-Mar-19 08:22:17

I have twins and would advise against it unless you have a nanny or partner who can look after them while you study. I was in hospital still a month after my twins were born. By 2 months later I occasionally had time for a shower. Studying? 😂😂😂

Hollowvictory Tue 26-Mar-19 08:22:50

Scrunch did you have twins though? Thought not.

scrunchSE18 Tue 26-Mar-19 19:03:49

Hollowvictory - very true I don’t have twins.
Just giving a different point of view as someone who went back to studying early pretty early on by rearranging my course.

Cosmogirl86 Fri 29-Mar-19 20:05:54

Thank you for the feedback ladies!
I have decided to take a year out as I have no idea how difficult I'll find it to manage my time. Like a previous poster said, one year won't have a lasting effect!

Now I'm just excited and want to meet my babies!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »