Should I be paying council tax?

(8 Posts)
MissYeti Thu 14-Mar-19 18:15:42

Posted too soon!

Get your uni to provide evidence that you're a student and you won't have to pay at all if you are the only adult in your house

ad2996 Thu 14-Mar-19 18:14:44

Thank you for the answers. I have sent them a certificate which states that I am a full time student as has been signed by the university, this is why I am so confused. I am the only adult in the household.

OP’s posts: |
Needmoresleep Thu 14-Mar-19 18:13:54

However I think you may need to have applied for exemption within a set time. DD says some fellow students have been taken to court for failing to pay, as they did not apply for exemption on time.

Most councils let you apply on their website.

LIZS Thu 14-Mar-19 18:13:39

Are you a full time student or do you work pt? Are you the only adult in the household?

MissYeti Thu 14-Mar-19 18:13:29

Depends if you are living with another adult. They would be eligible for the 25% discount as they're technically a solo payer. Get your uni to provide evidence that you're a student and you won't have to pay at all

Tomtontom Thu 14-Mar-19 18:11:26

Are there any other adults in your household?

Everytimeref Thu 14-Mar-19 18:10:35

As a student you don't pay council tax.

Have you provide the council evidence that you are a student. (You need to get a form from your uni)


ad2996 Thu 14-Mar-19 18:07:33

I'm a student parent and I have been studying at University since October.

I have today received a letter stating that I am only eligible for a 25% discount on my council tax. I'm sure that I should be exempt from paying this as a student?

Is there any other student parents who also struggle to pay their rent as they do not receive housing benefit?

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in