Talk

Advanced search

Open university - Maths

(7 Posts)
gruffaloshmuffalo Wed 13-Mar-19 16:50:37

Hi

I'm looking at signing up for the OU Maths degree to start in Oct. I've not been in education for 15 years, so it's a big step. I did the online tests they recommend and I scored well so I'm hoping I'll be ok. I've just managed to get myself freaked out about all the stuff I don't know as I didn't take A Level maths, and the books I bought myself have scared me a little.

Do you get eased into Maths again, or is it assuming you've just done your A Level Maths so know what's going on?

Thanks in advance

OP’s posts: |
BubblesBuddy Wed 13-Mar-19 23:52:46

I have a friend currently doing this course but she was accepted at Cambridge in her youth but didn’t go. Both sons have done maths at Cambridge - they are that sort of family! Are you sure your qualifications are good enough? I just think it will be an uphill struggle. I understand you are interested but without an A level you wouldn’t be able to do a standard degree so is the OU going to get you through this? I know that’s what you are asking but my friend is good at Maths and is up to date via her sons. It seems a bit unrealistic to me.

ClerkMaxwell Thu 14-Mar-19 07:57:59

I asked my friend with a nursing degree who did a OU maths degree for fun. The online tests will suggest which level to start at. However if you don't feel confident you can start a level back. She had the Scottish equivalent of AS maths so not A level. Found it hard at first but persevered and really enjoyed especially the statistics courses later on. Her tips are to practise the basics before you start so you are not having to look these up as well as learn new things and do as many questions on a topic you can. It helped her career she has a research nurse job now.

Justanothermile Thu 14-Mar-19 08:08:25

I'm no expert, but my DS is in his first year of a Maths degree.

I think Maths is one of the few subjects where it is recommended that you don't take a gap year, as to some extent, you need to keep doing maths to do maths if you understand?

DS says studying FM at A Level helps massively.

He's also doing better at degree level so far than Y13. He attributes this to the fact that it's less about continuous computations, more about understanding the concepts - then applying them. He's hopefully on for a very high first year mark after struggling somewhat during A Levels and losing confidence.

He's really enjoying his degree though.

Good luck!

JustRichmal Thu 14-Mar-19 08:32:45

I recently posted on the "Further Education" section about A level maths, having recently helped dd with it.

My post boiled down to|: Use CGP, Khan Academy and 3blue1brown. Don't panic about not understanding stuff; give it time to sink in.

The thread is probably worth a look at.

I do not know about the level OU start at, but will be following this thread, as an OU degree in maths is something I would like to do in a couple of years.

gruffaloshmuffalo Thu 14-Mar-19 10:09:21

Thanks everyone. It's definitely giving me food for thought. I've ordered some GCSE workbooks to go through, then I'll look at the a level one again. At the very worst, I'll brush up my skills even if I don't decide to study maths

OP’s posts: |
DrDreReturns Thu 14-Mar-19 17:53:52

I did the 'Certificate in Mathematics' at the OU about a decade ago. I don't think they run that course any more but there must be an equivalent. I didn't have A level maths but coped with the course fine, it was billed as an introduction to degree level maths. It contained a level 1 and level 2 course, and the credits you earned could be put towards a degree. I'd recommend doing something similar to see if you like OU maths.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »