Talk

Advanced search

Any medical student mums out there?

(18 Posts)
Bethyo Tue 22-Jan-19 18:40:27

Just wondering how you balance family with studying, and if you have any pearls of wisdom for me?!😃

OP’s posts: |
ProfessorLayton1 Tue 22-Jan-19 20:46:16

Are you a medic mum or just want to know? smile

HarryTheSteppenwolf Tue 22-Jan-19 22:14:37

Sorry, I can't help with direct personal experience (wrong sex and not a medic) but I know several students at the medical school where I work are mothers, and several have even had babies while they've been students (obviously carefully timed to arrive during holidays or in pre-planned years out). The main impression they give is of being very, very organized and having supportive partners, who aren't students or doctors.

Bethyo Tue 22-Jan-19 22:44:58

@ProfessorLayton1 I'm a potential future medical student mum, just wondered how other people have managedsmile

Bethyo Tue 22-Jan-19 22:47:45

@HarryTheSteppenwolf that makes sensesmile At least I've finished having babies (as far as I'm concerned!)wink

ProfessorLayton1 Wed 23-Jan-19 06:35:58

So, you have had children and you are considering Medicine as career.

For a start - choose your medical school carefully as some schools send their student miles away from their university in the later years.

The workload is heavy when compared to other courses but this can be managed if you are organised and have good child care.
Good luck !

Bethyo Wed 23-Jan-19 08:10:56

Thank you @ProfessorLayton1 smile

I've already had two interviews (Warwick and Bart's) and have my final interview tomorrow (Newcastle). I only applied to those three as they fitted my criteria and (more critically!) I fitted theirs. Although Bart's would be a struggle, living in Londonconfused

It sounds like it's doable though, especially if I don't have to work part-time as I did throughout my first degree.

Babdoc Wed 23-Jan-19 08:53:07

The problems don’t end when you qualify, either - you may have to complete your junior doctor training posts in several different locations, which could impact on your children’s schooling, plus you will be working night shifts on differing rotas. You’ll need very flexible childcare.
Good luck though - it’s a very satisfying, though challenging, career. I speak as a recently retired hospital doctor, who had to deal with 120 hour weeks, (being paid less per hour than the ward cleaner for 80 of those), and having my contract terminated while pregnant. You at least won’t have to wrestle with all that!

Bethyo Wed 23-Jan-19 09:59:04

Gosh @Babdoc that must've been awful! I'm fully expecting foundation training to be very difficult and not quite so compatible with family life.
Having said that, I need to get a place first! Fingers crossedconfused

HarryTheSteppenwolf Wed 23-Jan-19 11:16:37

Postgraduate deaneries do have criteria that make people eligible to remain in jobs closer to home: these are largely based on caring responsibilities. I know my own medical school applies the same criteria when allocating geographical bases in later clinical years of undergraduate training. So parents of school-age children would not be required to relocate during the course. I don't know how many medical schools do the same.

ProfessorLayton1 Wed 23-Jan-19 21:42:57

Good luck Bethyo for your Newcastle interview tomorrow!

Come back and let us know how you did your interview- fingers crossed for you!

Bethyo Thu 24-Jan-19 19:44:26

Thank you @ProfessorLayton1 smile I had my interview first thing this morning and I'm afraid I feel it didn't go well at allsad I guess I will just have to wait and see!

Amylouisexxo Fri 08-Feb-19 14:24:49

Not qualified here but hoping to go into midwifery next year! Iv applied for college in September to do the access to nursing and midwifery course then onto uni next September. I have two children, my youngest will be going into full time school in September so a bonus whilst I’m at college and I’ll need to look for a child minder for an hour or two in the evening and hopefully next year I will be able to convince my mother in law to finish an hour earlier at work to pick them up from school once I start university. I sometimes wish I did all this before I had kids but unfortunately those plans never work out although I’m glad I had my kids when I did! X

Bethyo Sun 03-Mar-19 13:05:35

@ProfessorLayton1 just thought I'd pop back on an give an update! I got offered a place at both Warwick and Newcastle, so we are currently deciding which area is the bet fit for us as a familysmile

InsomniaTho Sun 03-Mar-19 13:09:26

@Bethyo Amazing! Congratulations.

How many DC do you have? Are you doing Graduate Entry or the Undergrad one?

Sorry for the Qs, I’m debating medicine myself!

ProfessorLayton1 Sun 03-Mar-19 16:01:49

Well done , Bethyo..congratulations !!

If I am right, you are moving from London isn't it ?
Both are excellent universities and look at the practicalities before you decide...
Warwick only does grad entry so may be they are used to students with children and may have thought about child care etc.,
Worth looking into schools for the children and how far do you have to travel if you have placements in later years - that comes around quickly...
For now, enjoy your achievement !!!
Best of luck in your career!

Bethyo Mon 04-Mar-19 08:19:53

@InsomniaTho @ProfessorLayton1 thank you so much!
We are moving from East Yorkshire, so they are pretty much equal in terms of distance.
The course I've been offered at Warwick is the graduate 4 year course, and the Newcastle one is their undergrad 5 year. For graduate medicine you pay the first ~£3500 of your fees upfront and then student finance England lend you the rest, whereas for the undergraduate course you have to pay your own fees upfront (luckily we've just sold our house!).
However, the graduate course is much more intense because of condensing five years into four, so you're pretty much at uni 9-5 mon - fri whereas the five year course the first two years at least are much more laid back. Hence I'm thinking the five year course might be easier to juggle with childcare etc. I have a primary schooler and a preschooler.
@InsomniaTho feel free to ask me any questions (I have done LOTS of research and have been through the whole application process now) and I hope this has been helpful for you. Where are you thinking of applying?smile

InsomniaTho Mon 04-Mar-19 09:27:32

University of Nottingham. It’s where I am now, I’m a Biology Undergrad. I’d need to do the GEM. I’ve 3DC 10/8/3, and I’m in Year 1 of Biology.

I had to turn down the Foundation Medicine offer at UoN (and the Medical Microbiology with option to transfer to Medicine after Year 1 at Leicester) and do Biology due to lack of childcare options). Meaning youngest DD will be in Year 1 when I’m due to start GEM. My personal tutor is really keen for me to do it too. They have a lot of Athena Swan initiatives in GEM at the moment due to so many single parent women turning down GEM so they’re making it far more SP friendly.

I’ve read about the fees; I should be able to do them quite easily.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »