This is a Premium feature
To use this feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see fewer ads, and support Mumsnet.Start using Mumsnet Premium
UCL vs Imperial for BSc Biological sciences degree(3 Posts)
Torn which one to firm, identical offers, slightly different courses.
Please give me your views on both unis if you have experience there, especially for Bio Sciences. Interested in views on student experience, quality of teaching and facilities, available placement opportunities and anything else, which might be relevant. Thank you
No expert on either, or on biological sciences but since you have not had any responses, just a few ideas:
1. UCL obviously offers a wider range of subjects, so closer to a trad university. Friends of DS have been happy helping run various societies.
2. More overseas students at Imperial because of courses offered. And a bit of a 'nerdy' rep, which suits many 'nerds' just fine.
3. Both offer first year accommodation. Imperial is quite rich so offers some quite generous grants and bursaries. (Worth asking at both if you are lower income.) Imperial has some very good sports facilities.
4. UCL offers years abroad on a lot of courses, with a good range of options. I know a friend of DS' did study abroad from Imperial but think it was more unusual.
5. What are his interests? For example I understand UCL is strong in neurology.
Thats about it from me, but hopefully I have started the ball rolling, if only with people contradicting me. Both great Universities. I would be tempted to base a decision on where he feels he would be happiest.
Thank you so much, Needmoresleep! I completely agree with deciding on where you feel the happiest. My DD is torn how to arrange her firm and insurance, as the offers are identical. She will go and visit them again and decide then, I hope. Both unis have some real advantages to consider, so it is hard to make up one's mind. Thank you for your input, really appreciate it!